Sharing is caring!!!
A delicious homemade vegan alternative to the famous General Tsaos Chicken. Super crispy cauliflower florets are tossed in a delicious sauce. It is easy and needs only a few ingredients.
I love cauliflower as a vegetable. It's so versatile and can soak all the fantastic flavors well. An excellent alternative for vegans and plant-based people, this vegetable is readily available and not very expensive as well.
There are several recipes for cauliflower. You can see them in every cuisine, but they are popular in Asian dishes. In Indian households, they hold a special place in the kitchen, especially in North India. Same with Korean, Chinese, and several other Asian dishes. They are the new thing on the block. They are delicious in any form.
Ingredients needed for general Tsao's Cauliflower,
Cauliflower- of course, it is. Cauliflower is the hero of this dish, and I have used fresh cauliflower florets. I bought a tiny cauliflower and broke the florets in their natural shape and size. They are just perfect.
All-purpose flour, rice flour, garlic powder, red chili powder, and salt for the coating. This coating will make cauliflower crispy.
For sauce, we will whisk ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, tomato sauce(paste), and warm water. This sauce will be smooth, and delicious.
What to serve with them?
I love rice of any type. So, I always prefer hot white rice/jasmine rice with this recipe. They can be served as an appetizer, or you can eat them with broccoli.
You may want to check my popular cauliflower recipes,
General Tsao's Cauliflower
For crispy cauliflower florets
- 10 Florets Cauliflower
- ¼ Cup All purpose flour
- ¼ Cup Rice Flour
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ Cup Water if the batter is too thick add little by little to make it pancake- type consistency.
- 1 Tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Chopped/minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- ½ Tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Water
- ½ Tsp Corn Starch.
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Scallion chopped for garnish
- Break cauliflower into the florets.
- Whisk all- purpose flour ,rice flour ,salt and garlic powder with water to make a smooth lump free batter.
- If you need to add more water add spoons. The batter should not be very thin.
- Toss cauliflower florets into the batter and make sure they are coated well.
- Heat oil in the frying pan and deep fry the cauliflower florets until golden and crispy.
- Keep them in plate or bowl after frying.
- Alternatively you can air fry or bake them.
- Take a wok or a pan.
- Heat sesame oil in it.
- Add minced/chopped garlic and ginger .Saute till the oil feels aromatic.Do not over brown them.
- Whisk all the sauce ,water and corn starch .
- Add them to the pan and stir them continuously.
- When the sauce looks thick and shiny toss the fried cauliflower into it.
- Mix them well.
- Add chopped scallion for garnish.
- Serve them with soft rice and enjoy.