Langar Wali dal /Maa Chole ki Dal. Earthy, rich, full of texture, and delicious, this dal will take your taste buds on an adventure of Indian home cooking.
This dal is easy to prepare and is often served as a community langar dish and can be paired with rice or dal. This dal can be made vegan, making it the perfect one-pot meal.
Why Is It Called Langar Wali Dal?
Maa/Maah means split black gram or kali urad dal, and chole means Bengal gram lentil or chana dal. This dal is made by combining these two and a few Indian spices. So you will ask why the terminology of langar wali dal?
This lentil or dal dish is regularly served in the langar of gurudwaras worldwide, especially in Punjab.
The unusual combination of these two lentils makes this dal a unique dish. Have you ever tried this? If not, it's not too late. You will love every spoonful of this Langar Wali Dal.
What Ingredients Are Used in Making Langar Wali Dal?
The main ingredients are split black gram dal/Kali urad dal and yellow Bengal gram lentil. If you don't have split black gram dal, you can always use whole black gram dal in this recipe. You need to soak the whole lentil for 8 hours or overnight.
A few spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds, dry red chili, asafoetida, ginger garlic paste, green chilies, chopped tomato, and chopped onion with salt are the other ingredients.
You can always sprinkle a little bit of lime juice or fresh cilantro on top of it to enhance the taste. Your Langar Wali dal /Maa Chole KI Dal will shine through.
What Can You Serve With Langar Wali Dal?
This dal is served with roti in the gurudwaras, but at home, you can have whatever you like to eat with it. I am a rice eater, and I love to eat a bowl full of this dal with rice and salad.
Sometimes, I get slightly greedy for a heavenly taste and pour a dollop of ghee on top of the rice dal. Boy, you cannot beat this taste, and I will prefer that over any meal.
You May Also Want To Check Out These Lentil Recipes-
How to Make This Lentil/Dal in the Instant Pot-
Traditionally, this dal is prepared in a big pot over the traditional chulha or clay stove for long hours. Since we can't do that now, I liked to make it in the pressure cooker previously, and in the last few years, the Instant Pot has been perfect for this.
Firstly, wash and soak the lentils for 30 minutes. Then, with turmeric and salt, cook them on high pressure for 20 minutes. Release the steam naturally.
After that, prepare a simple yet flavourful tadka in a pan or the Instant Pot after removing the boiled lentils in a bowl. Next, pour 2 tbsp of ghee or oil into the Instant Pot or pan.
Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, and dry red chili as well. Add ginger-garlic paste to it and stir until the raw smell is gone.
After that, make a masala/spice paste of onions, tomatoes, and all the other spices by stirring everything continuously. If you think they are sticking to the bottom, use one or two tbsps of water to scrape them.
Then, mix the boiled lentil with that and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Add 2 cups of water for a thick dal; if you want a thin one, add one more. Then, cook it for two to three minutes and remove it from the stove. Garnish it and serve.
Langar Wali Dal
- ¾ Cup Split Black Gram Lentil
- ½ Cup Bengal Gram Lentil/Chana Dal
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt ,according to the taste.
- 2 Tbsp Ghee /Any plant based oil
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 1 Medium Chopped ripe tomato
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri red chili powder (optional)
- ¼ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Green Chili (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice(Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh cilantro
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- Soak both lentils for 30 minutes. Wash black gram lentil and bengal gram lentil under running water .Wash them till the water runs clear.
- Cook then in Instant pot on high pressure for 20 minutes with turmeric powder ,salt and 3 cups of water.
- Allow the steam to release naturally .
- Mean while you can heat a pan on the stove.
- Add ghee/oil to it. Heat it Add cumin seeds ,dry red chili and asafoetida to it .Let it splutter .
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir till the raw smell is gone .
- Add chopped onion ,red chili powder ,coriander powder to it .Saute it on medium flame till it looks translucent .That will take 1-2 minute .
- Add chopped tomato,and a pinch of salt to it . Stir it to make a masala paste.If you think its sticking to the bottom ,add one tbsp of water.
- Cook till oil is released .this is important since the taste will be enhanced after it .
- Add cooke dal to it and stir it nicely .Add one cup of hot water at this time .
- Add garam masala ,lime juice and fresh cilantro .
- Mix everything .Taste it .Adjust the salt if its required.
- If its thick for your liking ,add little bit of hot water if thin let it cook for 2-3 minute.
- Your langar wali dal is ready .Swich off the flame .
- Serve it over some rice or with roti .