Black Eyed Beans Curry or Lobia Curry is a North Indian style curry. Black-eyed beans are cooked to melt-in-the-mouth perfection in an onion-tomato gravy.
It's a one-pot, vegan, protein-rich curry. In addition, this dish goes well with any grain or bread.
Winters are for comfort food, and I don't leave any chance to make a big pot of curry. I think this dish is really convenient; if you have some black-eyed beans curry in the fridge or freezer, warm it.
Dunk a crispy piece of bread and taste the deliciousness. You can have this with any grain or anything you fancy. It will taste delicious any way it is served.
What Type of Black-Eyed Beans Are Used in This Recipe?
Personally, I prefer dry beans soaked overnight or for at least 6 hours. You can use canned beans, but I will insist that you try dry beans at least once. You will feel the difference.
What is Lobia / Black-Eyed Beans?
Lobia or black-eyed beans are a wonderful source of protein and fibre. Each serving of 100 gms has 8 gms of protein. It's really nutritious and filling.
What Ingredients Are Used in Making Black-Eyed Beans Curry?
I have used dry black-eyed beans, tomatoes, onions, ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, tomato puree, garam masala powder, salt, lemon juice, cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilli and cinnamon sticks. Furthermore, fresh cilantro is used for garnish.
What Can You Serve With Black-Eyed Bean Curry?
How to Make Black-Eyed Beans Curry In the Instant Pot-
Firstly, wash and soak the black-eyed beans for 8 hours or overnight. Drain the soaking water. Then, chop onions and tomatoes.
After that, prepare ginger-garlic paste by grinding an equal amount of ginger and garlic. Keep everything handy before turning on the Instant Pot.
Turn on the saute button of Instant Pot. When it displays hot, add oil to it. After that, add bay leaves, cumin seeds and dry red chilli to it.
Let them crackle. Then, add chopped garlic and saute it for 30 seconds. Next, add chopped onion and ginger-garlic paste. Saute it till the raw smell is gone. If you think it's sticking to the bottom, add one tbsp of water and scrape it.
Add all the spices at this point in time. Then, stir it for 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. After that, saute for 1-2 minutes.
Again, if you think it's sticking to the bottom, add one tbsp of water to it. You need to saute and prepare the spice paste. It needs time and patience.
After all, the secret of making good Indian curry lies in the masala paste.
After that, add black-eyed beans and stir them for 1 minute. Now, add water and garam masala, and close the lid. Pressure cook for 10 minutes.
Let the steam release naturally. Remove the lid. Then, adjust the seasoning and if you need to, adjust the curry /water content. After that, garnish with fresh cilantro.
Lastly, serve with any grain or bread.
How to Cook Black-Eyed Beans Curry On the Stove Top-
The first step is to boil black-eyed beans till they come to a melt-in-the-mouth texture.
You can boil it in a pot, as well as microwave or pressure cook it. You can also add canned black-eyed beans in this.
Next, take a pan. Add oil to it. When it's hot enough add cumin seeds, dry red chilli, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks.
Let them crackle. Then, add chopped garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add ginger-garlic paste and onion. After that, saute for some time and add all the spices.
Add chopped tomato and tomato puree at this time. After that, add salt and make a nice spice mix paste. Then, cook it on a slow flame till it releases the oil.
If you feel like it's sticking to the bottom of the pan, use one tbsp of water. Add black-eyed beans at this time.
Then, add water as per your preference. After that, adjust the seasoning. Lastly, garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy.
You May Also Want To Check Out These Beans and Lentil Recipes-
Black Eyed Beans Curry
- 1.5 Cups Black Eyed Beans
- 1 Medium Onion ,chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp Chopped Garlic
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ Cup Tomato Puree
- Salt according to the taste.
- 2 Small Bay leaves
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dry red chilies
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1.5 Tbsp Avocado oil or oil of your choice.
- 1 Tbsp Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish.
- Soak Black eyed Beans for 6 hours or overnight .
- Turn on the Instant pot.
- When it displays hot add oil to it .
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf ,dry red chilli and cinnamon.
- Let them crackle.
- Add chopped garlic and saute them for 30 second.
- Add chopped onion and saute .Add ginger garlic paste and saute till onion looks transparent and raw smell is gone.
- Add all the spices at this point of time .Stirand cook for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomato and tomato puree .Stir to make a nice masala mix .Add salt at this time .
- After 2-3 minytes of sauteing you will notice that it is releasing some oil and appears like a mushy paste .
- Add black eyed beans to it .Mix everything together .
- Add two cups of water if you want thick curry and three cups of water for thinner curry .
- Close the lid .Turn the vent in seal in position .
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.Let the pressure release naturally .
- Remove the lid .Adjust the seasoning .
- Garnish with fresh cilantro .