Kitchen is the heart of the home where with all our warmth and love, we create recipes that last generations.
Speaking of memories, cooking this parwal sabzi took me back to memory lane where I saw myself standing in my grandmother's kitchen. Both sets of my grandmothers were great cooks, but here I will take you on a journey in my maternal grandmother's kitchen. She is a phenomenal cook, a well read intellectual, and has a sweet personality. My siblings and I grew up eating her delicacies. However, because of her age, she doesn't go much in the kitchen- we still crave her food.
In her magic box of recipes, there are a few that we have been using for generations. This Alu Parwal ki Sabzi is one of them. I feel Parwal is the most under rated vegetable to exist. Though it's widely used in Bihar and Bengal, it's not a very common vegetable in households across the country.
Here, I am going to share an Alu Parwal ki Sabzi that is cooked with Chana Dal. This recipe has been used on both sides of my family for generations.
It's a super delicious and spicy sabzi that will make you dive in for a second helping. Serve it with Rice or Roti.
Pictorial presentation of step by step recipe
Aloo Parwal ki Sabzi with Chana Dal
- 10-12 Parwal(Medium)
- 7-8 Alu/Potato(7-8,if using baby potatoes)
- ½ Cup Chana Dal/Split bengal gram
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic paste
- 2 Bayleaves
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Dry red chili
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1+2 Tbsp Mustard oil/Oil of your choice.
- Salt according to taste.
- Take 10-12 Parwal.
- Remove skin like shown in the above pic.
- Slit it .
- Take 7-8 baby Potatoes
- Boil and remove the skin.
- Take Chana Dal and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Fry Parwal.
- Fry Alu.
- Mix Dal with pinch of turmeric and salt . Boil it till it has little bite left.
- Take a Pan or Wok.Add bay leaves,cumin seeds ,dry red chili to it. Let it spilliter.
- Add finely chopped onion ,ginger garlic paste,cumin powder ,coriander powder,turmeric and Red chili powder to it. Saute it for few minutes. Add tomato puree to it. Add salt.
- MIx Masalas and Spices . Mix them properly.
- Add few drops of water and fry it till the onions softens and it seperates from oil.
- Mix Potato ,Parwal and Boiled Chana dal to it.
- Fry properly.You need to bhuno this around 10-12 minutes on low/medium flame.
- Add two cups of water to it.
- Let it boil for 8-10 minutes.Cover it while boiling. It should be on low flame.
- Your Sabzi is ready to serve. taste it and adjust the seasoning.
Leave a Reply