This is one of the most loved recipes of mine which doesn’t take much then 20 minutes to whip up. It is my mom’s recipe and the only change I have made is that I have air fried the parwal/pointed gourd. It has a strong garam masala and yogurt flavor and tastes delicious.
Don’t let its colour and looks deceive you- this rich curry only has one tbsp of canola oil and very little spices. The beautiful red colour is due to yogurt and kashmiri red chilli powder.
You can make this curry with onions and garlic or Niramish (without onion or garlic). The taste is always amazing. This dish is best served with Roti and Rice.
Why should you air fry?
In recent times, air frying has become quite popular because it uses little to no oil. It is the healthier option.
Quick and easy Dahi Parwal/Pointed Gourd in yogurt Sauce
- For air frying of Pointed Gourd /Parwal.
- 10-12 Parwal/Pointed Gourd
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Little oil for brushing .
- For making gravy
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Bayleaf
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Tbsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 Tsp Green Chilli paste
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar(you can reduce the quantity if you don't like little sweet gravies but this sweetness is the beauty of gravy)
- 1 Cup Yogurt (if using greek yogurt use 1/2 cup mixed with 1/2 cup of water.)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish.
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- Remove ends of Parwal and peel as shown as picture.
- Mix Parwal with turmeric and salt . Add 1 tsp of oil to it .
- Brush air fryer base with little oil and pre heat it on 370f for 5 minutes.
- Arrange all the Parwal in a single layer and Air fry on 370 f for 12-13 minute or till they look fried.Your time can be less or more depending on your air fryer.
- Making of yogurt Gravy
- Take apan .
- Add oil to it . Let it heat for a few minutes.
- Add whole garam masala to it .Let them crackle.
- Add ginger Chilli paste to it .
- Fry it for 1 minute or till the raw smell is gone .(it should be done on low/medium flame otherwise it will burn .)
- Take a bowl ,add coriander powder,cumin powder,kashmiri red chilli powder,and turmeric powder with 3 Tbsp of water.Mix it like a paste.
- Add this spice paste to the oil and fry it on low /medium flame .
- Fry for 2-3 minute or till the oil separates. Do not over fry it otherwise it will give a bitter taste.
- Take a big bowl add yogurt and whisk it to make it a smooth liquid consistency .
- Add this yogurt to the pan and whisk it continuously.Keep the gas flame to low /medium.Add 1/4 cups of room temperature water to it .
- You need to stir it continuously otherwise yogurt will curdle.
- This is the most important step and you need to do it carefully.
- After 4-5 minutes of whisking you will see that it starts boiling then add Parwal to it .
- Add salt and sugar to it and let it simmer for 4-5 minute.
- If you think the gravy is too thick you can add little water.
- Taste it. If you think it needs extra salt add it ,though this curry is mildly sweet.
- Serve it with roti of rice.