Crispy Sweet Chili Potato. Air fried crispy potato fingers are tossed in sweet and spicy sauce. This potato appetizer is finger-licking delicious. In addition, it is really easy and takes around 20 minutes of your time. It's also vegan and kid-approved!
If you love potatoes and Indo-Chinese food, then these are for you, my people!!! I love to make, or should I say, eat potato dishes. Crispy and delicious, this appetizer is super addictive. I always make this in a big batch to fulfill our cravings and it is one of our family favorites.
What is the Secret for Making the Best Air Fried Sweet Chili Potato?
Well, it's no secret!! Just make it super crispy. If the potato fingers are super-duper crispy, then your sweet chili potatoes will be delicious. Also, their tantalizing taste depends on that spicy, sweet sticky sauce that coats them from all around. Believe me, that sauce will make you lick your fingers if not the plate.
How to Make Sweet Chili Potato-
First, wash and dry the potato. Then, cut them into fingers. They shouldn't be too thin or thick, and should hold their shape. Wash them in running water till the water runs clear. Clear water means that the starch is not present in large quantities. That will help in making the potato crisp. After that, soak the potato fingers in a bowl full of water for 30 minutes.
What Type of Potato is Used in this Recipe?
I prefer to use russet potato or white potatoes for this. I have not made this recipe with red potatoes so I don't know how they hold their shape, but if you have any experience with making crispy fries with them, you can certainly try them.
How to Make the Perfect Sticky Sweet Chili Sauce-
This sticky sauce is the soul of this dish. I wanted to make a vegan sauce, hence, I did not use honey in it. Maple syrup and brown sugar both work great in this recipe with red chili sauce and soy sauce. However, if you don't have any objection to honey, you can certainly use that.
The proportion of the ingredients in this sauce is quite important to achieve the taste, which is spicy and sweet with a hint of tang. It's amazing how the sauce coats the crispy potato and that is possible because of the sticky texture. This finger-licking sauce is worth trying in another recipe as well.
You May Also Want To Check Out These Air Fried Recipes-
Crispy Sweet Chili Potato
- 2 Large Potatoes, cut into matchsticks.
- 4 Tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Sauce
- 1 Tsp Water
For sticky sweet and spicy seasme sauce.
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil/Oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup/Honey/Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1.5 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Red Chili Sauce
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Corn Flour
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp White Sesame Seeds
- Wash potatoes. Cut them into matchsticks. They shouldn't be too thick or thin.
- Soak potato matchsticks in cold water for 15 minutes. That will help in removing starch and will make the potatoes crispy.
- Take a big bowl. Add corn flour, rice flour, all purpose flour, garlic powder, red chili sauce, salt, and black pepper.
- Whisk together and add water to it. Make a thick, paste-like mixture.
- Drain the water from potatoes and dry them with a paper towel.
- Coat potato match sticks with the cornflour mixture.
- Make sure they are coated well.
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400 f for 3 minutes.
- Spray the basket and layer cornflour-coated potato match sticks in one layer. I needed to do this in two parts since my airfryer basket is not very big.
- Air fry them at 400 for 4 minutes each side .Your time can vary depending on your fryer and sizeof the potato .
- There is lot of argument against turning them or not turning them. I prefer to do it. In my opinion, it makes them super crisp.
- Remove them onto a wire rack. Remember, removing them onto a plate will make them soggy.
Making of sauce
- Take a pan/wok. First, toast sesame seeds and remove them onto a plate.
- Take the pan again heat it. Add oil and heat it .
- When it's hot, add chopped garlic and ginger to it.
- Mix all the sauces, brown suga/maple syrup/rHoney and red pepper flakes together.
- Add it to the pan. Let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Mix corn flour with water if you think its too thick and add a few drops.
- Add this cornflour water to the pan and stir it.
- Let it cook for 30 seconds or till it looks a little sticky .
- Add air fried potato match sticks to it and make sure they are coated well.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on them.
- Serve immmediately. Do not let them go soggy.