Barbeque Nation inspired Air fried Cajun potatoes in a new, healthier form. Crispy on the outside, and creamy and soft on the inside, these air fried spiced potatoes are loaded with a creamy cajun spice sauce. Overall, they are a sure shot crowd pleaser and perfect for any party appetizer.
Easy to make, these cajun potatoes are lip-smacking delicious and need only a few common ingredients.
Do you love potatoes? If yes, then you will love the simplicity and taste of this potato appetizer.
In India, Barbecue Nation inspired appetizers are quite famous. I personally love their crispy corn and cajun potatoes. In the US, we miss Indian restaurants' famous dishes and for that reason, we try to make it at home.
There are several methods for making these cajun potatoes and everyone's interpretations are different for any recipe. I have simplified the recipe and tried to make it healthier and more suitable for our busy life.
What are Air Fried Cajun Spiced Potatoes?
Traditionally, cajun potatoes are parboiled and smashed, then fried or air fried. The crispy and crunchy potatoes are then topped with a creamy cajun spiced chutney or sauce.
These potatoes are not overly spicy, however, they have a wonderful kick in them.
Cajun spice is a spice mix from the southern region of the US and it is quite famous for its amazing taste. You can use this spice as a seasoning on any vegetable or food.
It will definitely make your food more delicious and worth trying.
What Type of Potatoes are Used in this Recipe?
Baby potatoes are preferred for this recipe. Just in case you can't get ahold of baby potatoes, you can use the smallest of the potatoes you get. Yukon gold or red potatoes are also perfect for this recipe. Since we use potatoes with skin, we need to use clean and nice potatoes.
Why is Using Potato Skin Necessary?
Potato skin plays a key role in giving the potatoes a great texture and crispness. When we bake, air fry or deep fry the potatoes, the skin gets caramelized from all sides and gives an amazing roasted flavour.
If you are a potato lover, you must be aware of the feeling you get after biting into a crispy, yet creamy on the inside potato. It just feels like heaven in your mouth.
Why Air Fry Them?
Air frying the Cajun potatoes makes them more healthy and we all know that people nowadays are avoiding deep-fried food. Making food at home gives us the freedom to make it more suitable for our taste buds.
Baking the potatoes is another healthier option but it takes more time than air frying. Air frying is quite convenient and fast.
However, if you are making cajun potatoes for a large crowd, baking is necessary. You cannot air fry in large quantities and that calls for baking in that case.
What if You Don't Have Cajun Spice Mix?
Mostly, you can get them in any store. Still, if you are not getting ahold of this, you can make it by combining a few of the following spices:
1. 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
2. 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
3. 1 teaspoon dried thyme
4. 1 teaspoon dried oregano
5. 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6. 1 tbsp paprika
7. Salt (if you want to add) I avoid combining salt in this seasoning because all the spices have salt in them and I usually don't like overly salty food. For my preferences, the milder the better. You can use that according to your taste, though.
Mix these ingredients together and store them in an airtight container.
You May Also Want to Check Out These Other Air Fryer Potato Recipes-
Air Fried Cajun Spiced Potatoes
- 8-10 Baby Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Oil, for brushing the potatoes
Cajun Spiced Sauce
- ½ Cup Vegan Mayonnaise/mayonnaise/heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Cajun spice seasoning
- ½ Tsp Red Peppr Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Almond Milk/Whole milk
- 1 Tbsp Lime/Lemon juice
- Wash and scrub the potatoes.
- If you are using the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 1 minute.
- Release the pressure naturally and cool them.
- If you are using a stove-top, boil them till they are fork-tender. Remove from the pot and cool them off.
- Using your palm, smash the potatoes lightly. Don't smash them too hard, or else they will break.
- Brush them with oil and season them lightly with salt.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F and bake them till they look crispy and golden brown.
- Remove them onto a plate after they are done.
- Mix all the ingredients required to make the sauce.
- Taste the seasoning and adjust it according to your taste.
- Arrange the air-fried smashed potatoes on a serving platter and pour the sauce over top of them. They should be covered with the sauce, or you can drizzle a little on top.
- Use the method of whichever you like the most.
- Serve it as a side or appetizer, and enjoy!!!