Sharing is caring!!!
Black Pepper Tofu. Crispy from the outside and soft on the inside, these tofu cubes are tossed in a delicious and flavorful sauce. Served as an appetizer or side, this spicy tofu dish is anything but boring. Fire up your taste buds with these when craving something to lift up your mood. In addition, it's vegan and kid-approved!
If you are a lover of spicy, simple food, then this recipe is perfect for you. Easy to make, this tofu dish needs only a few ingredients. I also love that you can prepare this in under 30 minutes. It's super convenient, and the fantastic thing is that it can be served both as an appetizer and a main course.
What Ingredients are Needed for Black Pepper Tofu?
Organic Extra Firm Tofu- I always use the same organic extra firm tofu from my local store. It has a good texture, and being organic makes it healthier to consume.
Crushed Black Pepper- Fresh and good quality pounded black pepper makes all the difference.
Scallion or Green Onions- Scallions are super flavourful, and I love using them in my Asian dishes.
Soy Sauce (Dark)
Red chili pepper/Green chili pepper
Red Chili Paste
How to Make Black Pepper Tofu-
Black pepper tofu is one of the most straightforward recipes and just involves two steps.
The first step is to make sure your tofu is pressed and that means it doesn't have water content. The texture of the tofu is not the same when you don't press tofu with a tofu press or with layers of paper towel.
Then, when it's taken care of, sprinkle some cornflour and salt on the tofu and make sure it's coated with a thin layer of cornflour. After that, air fry, bake, or deep fry tofu cubes till they look golden and crisp.
You can opt for plain, non-crispy tofu as well but I prefer to cook any spicy dish with crispy tofu as I think it really elevates the flavor component.
Then, make a sauce using ginger, garlic, chilies, and other sauces. If you want to make an appetizer you can just coat the tofu with sauce mix or make a slurry and make a sauce to go with rice. It will taste delicious in any form.
People may wonder why I have so many tofu recipes on my website. My family loves tofu and it's a protein powerhouse for vegans/vegetarians. I make it three times a month and it's super simple to assemble as a dinner or lunch.
You May Also Want to Check Out These Tofu Recipes-
Black Pepper Tofu
- 1 Block Extra firm organic Tofu
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Crushed Pepper
For the black pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- ½ Tsp Chopped Chili Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Seasame Oil
- 1 Tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Green Onion/Scalion
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Oil of your choice
- Press the tofu with tofu press or paper towel.
- Cut tofu into cubes or shape of your choice.
- Sprinkle corn flour /corn starch on the tofu .Make sure they have a really thin layer of it. Remove the excess flour by shaking it off .
- Deep fry ,air or bake the tofu till they are crispy from outside and soft from inside.
- Mix soy sauce ,sesame oil,dark brown sugar,and crushed black pepper together.
- Take wok,add oil and heat it .
- When its hot add chopped garlic ,giner and green chilies.
- Saute them for 30 second and add sauce mix ,green onion and half of the cilantro .
- Cook it for 1 minute to make a glossy sauce mix.
- Coat crispy tofu with the sauce and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve over any grain or just like that .
- Easy Mushroom Masala Curry
- Gujarati Dal
- Crispy Chili Garlic Mushroom
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Bengali Aloo Dum