This Instant pot Spanish rice made with pantry staples tastes delicious. This is the easiest way to make this restaurant-style Spanish rice /Mexican rice.
Spanish rice is a perfect side for so many Mexican dishes. They go perfectly with refried beans, tacos, and enchiladas. Most of the time, I make burrito bowls with fluffy Spanish rice.
What is Spanish Rice?
This rice is flavored rice called Arroz Rojo. This is classic rice fully flavored with lots of garlic, tomato sauce, shallots, and a few spices.
I also make great Mexican green rice which is just as good as this rice. You may want to check the recipe- Mexican Green Rice/Arroz Verde.
Why Use Instant Pot to Make this Rice?
Trust me, my instant pot has changed the dynamics of the whole kitchen. It's safer and quieter than the regular pressure cooker. Looks are the added plus point.
Cooking rice or any other meal in an Instant pot is super easy. Rice is always fluffy and grains are separate in the instant pot just like in the rice cooker.
In addition, to just cook the rice you can saute them to bring that golden caramelization.
4 years ago, when I started using the Instant pot, I didn't look back, and now I am trying to convert others as well.
It was totally life-changing. Trust me on this.
You May Also Want to Check Out Some of My Other Instant Pot Recipes-
Ingredients Needed to Make Spanish Rice-
Rice- I have used long grain basmati rice for the recipe. I cook basmati rice at home and it doesn't make sense to buy different rice just to make one dish. It came out really well and the taste was great too.
Tomato Sauce/Puree- Do not get confused here. I am not talking about ketchup. It's a pureed tomato but in a more flavored, concentrated form.
Garlic- Fresh garlic cloves are needed for this recipe. I have chopped /minced them.
Salt and Chili Powder
Olive Oil/Avocado Oil/Butter
Cilantro for Garnish
How to Store It?
Store Spanish rice in an air-tight container. You can store this for up to seven days. You can reheat the serving portion just before serving, not the whole batch. This dish tastes best when eaten fresh.
Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- 1 Cup White Basmati Rice
- 1.5 Cup Tomato Sauce/Puree
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 Cup Water/Veg Stock
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Clen and rinse the rice under running tap water.
- Turn the saute button of Instant pot on. Add the oil and butter together and let it get hot.
- When Instant pot displays hot add minced garlic and saute till it looks golden.
- Add rice and stir it around for once and add water, tomato sauce, chili powder, and salt.
- Stir it once and make sure that each grain of rice is covered with tomato liquid.
- Place the lid on the Instant pot and make sure it's on seal is in position.
- Pressure cook rice for 5 minutes and wait for 8-9 minutes to release the pressure manually.
- After releasing the pressure manually, remove the lid.
- Fluff the rice with the help of a fork and serve.