This Instant pot Spanish rice made with pantry staples tastes delicious. This is the easiest way to make this restaurant-style Spanish rice.
Spanish rice is a perfect side for so many Mexican dishes. They go perfectly with refried beans, tacos, and enchiladas. Most of the time, I make burrito bowls with fluffy Spanish rice.
What is Spanish Rice?
This rice is flavored rice called Arroz Rojo. This is classic rice fully flavored with lots of garlic, tomato sauce, shallots, and a few spices.
I also make great Mexican green rice which is just as good as this rice. You may want to check the recipe- Green Rice/Arroz Verde.
Why Use Instant Pot to Make this Rice?
Trust me, Instant pot has changed the dynamics of the whole kitchen. It's safer and quieter than the regular pressure cooker. Looks are the added plus point.
Cooking rice or any other meal in an Instant pot is super easy. Rice is always fluffy, and grains are separated in the instant pot just like in the rice cooker.
In addition, to just cook the rice you can saute them to bring that golden caramelization.
Four years ago, when I started using the Instant pot, I didn't look back, and now I am trying to convert others as well.
It was life-changing.
You May Also Want to Check Out Some of My Other Instant Pot Recipes-
Ingredients Needed to Make Spanish Rice-
Rice- I have used long-grain basmati rice for the recipe. I cook basmati rice at home, and buying other rice to make one dish doesn't make sense. It came out well, and the taste was great too. Feel free to purchase short-grain rice or your choice of rice.
Tomato Sauce/Puree- I like to use the sauce since it gives better red color.
Garlic- Fresh garlic cloves are needed for this recipe. I have chopped /minced them.
Salt and Chili Powder(You can use Paprika as well)
Olive Oil/Avocado Oil/Butter
Cilantro for Garnish
How to Store It?
Store Spanish rice in a freezer-safe container. You can store this for up to seven days. You can reheat the serving portion before serving, not the whole batch. This dish tastes best when eaten fresh.
Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- 1 Cup White Basmati Rice
- 1.5 Cup Tomato Sauce/Puree
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 Cup Water/Veg Stock
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Clean and rinse the rice under running tap water. Sometimes people do not do this and that is also fine.Its our Indian habit to rinse the rice.
- Turn the saute button of Instant pot on. Add the oil and butter together and let it get hot.
- When Instant pot displays hot add minced garlic and saute till it looks golden.
- Add rice stir it around once and add water, tomato sauce, chili powder, and salt. Deglazing is essential for not getting the burn message.
- Stir it once and make sure that each grain of rice is covered with tomato liquid.
- Place the lid on the Instant pot and ensure it's on the seal.
- Pressure cook rice for 5 minutes and wait for pressure to release naturally.You can also release it manually but wait for atleast 5-6 minute.
- After pressure is released, remove the lid.
- Fluff the rice with the help of a fork and serve.
Leave a Reply