We have a divided opinion on khichdi at my house. My younger one and I don't crave it, but relish it when put in front of us.
My older one will not say anything while eating, but will finish it in a few spoons and run.
And then my husband, who relishes every morsel of his khichdi and looks forward to it every time.
Yesterday, a severe weather alert was in our area. Several hundred people got affected by disrupted power lines and up rooted trees. Although school was supposed to start on a delayed time, the district kept it closed for safety purposes.
Usually I don't make lunch for myself and eat fruits or vegetables, but since my daughter was at home, I thought about making something comforting and nourishing. She doesn't get many opportunities to eat a wholesome, hot Indian lunch. I thought about making a delicious bowl of spinach khichdi which is quite easy and ultimate comfort food.
What is Khichdi?
We can say it's an Indian Risotto. It's a type of comfort food which can be cooked using Lentils and Rice. It's one of the most popular home-cooked foods in India and considered quite nutritious. It is considered one of the simplest meals which you can make in 20 minutes flat. Throw some vegetables and very few spices in a pressure cooker /Instant Pot along with some lentils and rice, and your delicious Bowl of Khichdi is ready! Add a dollop of Desi Ghee in that bowl and your bowl of deliciousness is ready.
In modern times, experiments with khichdi recipes have given us a few wonderful recipes using quite a lot of alternatives like Quinoa, Millet, or Oats. Irrespective of ingredients, it always tastes good.
Here I am going to share a recipe of Spinach Khichdi with a Tadka of Garlic and Desi Ghee. Eaten with Tomato Chutney, Papad, and Pickle, this is an undoubtedly soulful meal.
Instant Pot Spinach/Palak Khichdi with Lasooni Tadka
- Instant Pot /Pressure Cooker
- For Khichdi making in Instant Pot
- ½ Cup Moong Dal /Yellow Split Moong lentil
- ½ Cup Basmati Rice ,Washed
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Spinach leaves(tightly packed) washed and dried.For making Spinach Puree.
- For Lasooni Tadka
- 2 Tbsp Desi ghee
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- 1 Dry Red Chilli(Round One)
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ Cup Water for making the spinach puree
- Wash and Drain the Rice and Dal.
- Switch on the Instant pot .
- Press the saute button on.
- Add Rice ,Dal,Turmeric ,Salt and water.
- Close the lid and switch on the pressure cook button .
- Seal the pressure valve and cook for 4 minutes on high pressure.
- Puree the spinach leaves with ½ cup of water in the blender and keep it aside.
- Let the steam release naturally.
- In a Tadka Pan Add ghee .Heat it .
- Add Cumin seeds,Dry Red chilli,Asafoetida,bay leaf,black cardamom,Garlic to it .
- Fry it nicely so that it releases the natural flavour .Don't burn it .
- Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and mix the spinach puree to it .
- Add Kashmiri red chilli powder to the tadka pan and immediately transfer the tadka to Instant Pot .
- Mix it nicely and Let it cook for 2 minutes.If you think its more thick for your liking and you like more runny Khichdi then mix ½ cup of water to it.
- Taste the salt. If you think it needs more add as per your taste .
- Your Spinach /Palak Khichdi is ready to serve.
- Serve this with Papad ,Chutney ,and Pickle .