Sometimes, you just don’t feel like you want to spend a ton of time in front of the stove. However, you may still want to eat a delicious and comforting meal. The Instant Pot Burrito Bowl is the answer for most of my busy weekdays or lazy weekend meals.
Online schooling and the work-from-home situation has increased my workload tremendously. So, believe me, when someone says that they have tons of time on their hand these days, I just wonder, how?
Sometimes I miss the simple pleasures of normal life, like sitting in a restaurant on a lazy weekend and sipping a margarita. We all value things when they are gone or beyond your reach. Isn’t it human nature?
Mexican flavors are so close to Indian flavors that sometimes I wonder how it is even possible. At home, everyone loves these flavors, so I make the following dishes quite a bit.
If you want, you can check them out. These are some really beautiful recipes.
Why Make an Instant Pot Burrito Bowl?
It saves tons of time and I believe the pressure cooking creates a wonderful flavor profile. The dish is nutritious and you can make it without any babysitting. It is a wholesome meal which is just awesome for busy days.
Ingredients Needed for Burrito Bowl-
Rice- I used Basmati rice, but you can use any type of rice. If you using brown rice, your cooking time will increase.
Salsa- I have used fresh homemade salsa, but feel free to use store-bought salsa. I like medium heat in my salsa, but you can obviously choose the mild or hot.
Black Beans– I prefer using canned ones as they save a ton of time. I rinse the beans with fresh running water and drain properly before using.
Sweet Corn– Sometimes I use canned ones, sometimes I use frozen ones. It depends on the availability of things in my pantry / fridge. You can use either option.
Vegetables– I prefer using peppers and zucchini. While making this batch, I ran out of Zucchini so I only used peppers. I also used onions, garlic, and tomato as well. When using tomatoes, deseed the tomato and then chop it.
Spices– This burrito bowl uses garlic powder, cumin powder, paprika or chilli powder, and salt. The garlic powder gives an awesome taste.
Guacamole– I like to serve this with freshly-made guacamole, but you can use avocado slices as well.
Sour Cream- You will love how adding sour cream enhances the flavor profile.
In regard to garnishes, lettuce, lemon, jalapeno, and freshly chopped cilantro are the major ones I use for my burrito bowl.
Remember, a few of the garnishes are totally optional, so if you do not have those at home, you can still have a delicious home made burrito bowl.
Can You Make Burrito Bowls On the Stove Top?
Absolutely! Making this burrito bowl on the stove top is as easy as making the burrito bowl in an instant pot. Please check the recipe card for instructions.
Why is This Dish One of My Favorites?
It’s filling and nutritious. When you have two teenagers at home, you will need to make something which keeps them full and provides them with nutrition as well.
This is quite a healthy and wholesome meal, full of fibres and vitamins. Furthermore, it is quick and and requires very little supervision .
Instant Pot Burrito Bowl.
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Peppers
- 1 Cup Canned Black Beans
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Corn
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 3-4 Chopped Garlic
- 1 Small Tomato deseeded and chopped
- 1/4 Chopped jalapeno
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Salsa
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- Salt according to the taste
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Guacamole/Avocado
- 1 Cup Lettuce
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Jalapeno
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Turn the saute button of Instant Pot on .When its hot enough add oil to it.
- Add garlic ,onion and jalapeno to it .Saute for 1 minute or till they look translucent.
- Now add paprika /chilli powder ,cumin powder and garlic powder to it .Saute for 1 minute .
- Add pepper ,beans ,corn to it and mix it nicely. Now add tomato to it .
- Mix rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add salsa to it .Mix it well and add water.
- Tip–Take a spoon and taste the water ,then only mix salt according to your need .I do it all the time. Since store bought salsa and beans have salt, it is always important to taste it before adding more.
- Stir it one more time and put the lid on .Your valve should be on seal in position.
- Cook it for 6 minutes on high pressure .Remove the lid only after it releases the steam naturally.
- Follow the same steps till the time come to put lid on .
- Cover it with a lid and cook on high flame till it starts to boil.Now turn the flame to slow and cook it for for around 20 minutes or till rice looks soft and cooked.
How to assemble Burrito bowl.
- Garnish with lettuce,Jalapeno,,sour cream(optional).