Mexican Green Rice is packed with the flavour and freshness of spinach, cilantro, and jalapeno peppers. It's super easy to make and also makes everything brighter on the dinner table with its vibrant green color. In addition, it is the perfect side dish for any protein and great for lunch boxes.
What is Mexican Green Rice /Arroz Verde?
White rice is cooked in vegetable stock /water. Traditionally, cilantro, poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, onion, as well as garlic are used for the flavouring of the rice. I have used my own touch and added spinach and corn, which made this rice very flavourful.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Green Rice?
Rice- Typically, Mexican rice is used in this recipe, however, I have used Basmati rice in this recipe.
Spinach- Although I prefer to use baby spinach leaves, you can use any type of fresh/frozen spinach.
Cilantro- Fresh cilantro works best.
Jalapeno- I love to use jalapeno in my recipes as they provide awesome flavour.
Corn- Canned or frozen sweet corn is good for use.
Avocado Oil- As of now, this is my favourite type of oil. However, you can use any oil of your choice.
Garlic- I love to use garlic for flavouring.
Onion- I have used red onion, however, you can use white onion too.
Salt and Lime/Lemon
You May Want to Check Out These Rice Recipes As Well
Can You Freeze Green Mexican Rice?
Absolutely. They are great for freezing. Let it come to room temperature first and then store in a freezer-safe container.
How Can You Use Green Rice/Mexican Rice
You can use them in rice bowls along with salsa, guacamole, vegetables, and any protein.
Use this rice in wraps and fajitas.
I like to eat just a bowl of this rice. It can be a simple, easy one pot comfort meal.
Green Mexican Rice/Arroz Verde
- 1 Cup Rice
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock/Water
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Cup Packed Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Cup Packed Fresh Spinach Leaves
- 2 Big Garlic Cloves
- 1 Small Chopped Onion
- Salt According to the taste
- ½ Cup Sweet Corn
- Lime/Lemon wedges
- Jalapeno for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Rinse rice properly under running tap water.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan .Add avocado oil to it .Heat it .
- Add chopped garlic to it .Saute it till it looks transparent .Add chopped onion at this point and stir it for one minute .They will look light pink/brown at this time.Add corn to it and saute it for 1 minute again to make it little toasty.
- Add rice to it .Stir and toast it for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Wash all the herbs.Make a smooth puree of spinach ,cilantro and ,jalapeno .Blend it smooth.
- Stir the rice ,and and add the green puree to it .Stir it and then add water and salt (according to your taste).Stir it once again to mix everything.
- Cover with a lid and let it come to a boil.
- Lower the flame on medium /low and keep it covered untouched for 13 minutes.Switch off the flame ,but do not touch it .
- Let it sit for 5 more minutes.Remove the lid .Fluff with a fork.Add lime/Lemon juice ,cilantro and jalapeno for garnish and serve.