Creamy, and full of protein and fibre, this lima bean/white bean curry is a one pot comfort meal. It is amazing how easy it is to whip up this simple and satisfying bowl of goodness. Additionally, it is great to have it in chilly winter months with some bread, rice, or have it by itself.
Don't you all love simple and nourishing meals? Come winter and I try to find ways to make one pot comfort foods for everyone at home. My favourites are definitely curries, stews, and soups. I love how our soul feels nourished after a bowl of this goodness.
I love lentils and beans, and it often surprises me how easy it is to feed an army with these cans. A few days ago, we cleaned and sorted our pantry. The discovery of so many cans was definitely overwhelming. However, I planned a menu around around them. I am sure it won't take much time before the shelves are empty again.
White Beans- I have used canned white beans in this recipe. Wash beans after opening the can to remove excess salt. Drain and use. You can use dry beans as well. Simply soak dry beans for 8 hours /overnight. Then, boil them in salted water till they have a melt-in-the-mouth texture.
Tomato Puree- Canned or homemade, any tomato puree will work here.
Tomato- Freshly chopped tomatoes for that hint of freshness.
Spinach- I have used baby spinach leaves. You can use any kind.
Onion- I have used chopped red onions in the recipe. Feel free to use any.
Garlic- Fresh cloves of garlic will work here.
Ginger- Fresh ginger works perfectly here. You simply need to grate or mince them.
Turmeric Powder- Any Indian curry recipe is incomplete without it. Use whatever brand of turmeric powder you have.
Paprika/Cayenne Pepper- Use according to your taste. If you don't like spicy things, do not use.
Coriander Powder- This gives the curry a perfect smoky taste, and makes the curry more flavourful.
Oil- My latest favourite is avocado oil. You can use according to your taste.
Salt- How can we forget this amazing ingredient?
Cilantro- Use it for garnish.
Green Chilis and Lime Juice are totally optional.
How to Make it
Making white bean and spinach curry is super simple and even a beginner level cook can whip this up in no time.
1- Take a pan. Add oil to it and heat it. Then, add chopped onions and garlic. Saute till they look soft and translucent.
2- Add turmeric powder, paprika/cayenne pepper, coriander powder to it. After that, mix chopped tomatoes to it and stir. Add tomato puree and salt. Then, cook it on slow flame till it releases oil.
3- Add white beans, and mix it well with tomato spice mix. Then, cook it for a around one minute. Add chopped spinach and stir. After that, let it cook on slow flame for 1-2 minutes.
4- Once that's done, add water and cook it while covered on slow flame for another minute or two. Lastly, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.
You May Also Want To Check Other Bean/Lentil Recipes-
What Can You Serve With This?
It goes well with both rice and bread. Couscous, quinoa and only a bowl of this delicious food will work as well.
You May Want To Check These Out As Well-
Can You Freeze It?
You can store the white bean and spinach curry in freezer-safe containers or ziplock bags. One-time use bags or containers are important to use. Then, just heat it in the microwave or on the stove top before serving.
White Beans and Spinach Curry/Lima Beans Curry/Butter Beans Curry
- 2 Cans(14 oz each) White Beans
- 3 Tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 Medium Tomato,chopped
- 1 Medium Onion ,Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic,Chopped
- 1 Tsp Chopped Ginger
- 1.5 Tbsp Avocado oil /Oil of your choice.
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika/Red Chilli Powder(optional)
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt According to the taste.
- 2 Green Chillies(Optional)
- 2 Cups Spinach leaves
- ¼ Cups Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Cups Water (Add 1 cup more for thinner curry)
- Take a Pan .Heat it .Add oil to it.
- When its hot enough ,add chopped onion and chopped garlic to it .Saute till it looks translucent .it will take 1-2 minute.Do it on the medium flame .Do not burn it.
- Add minced /Chopped ginger to it.Stir it for 30 seconds.
- Add Turmeric Powder,coriander powder,red chilli /paprika to it .Mix it nicely on slow flame.
- Add chopped tomato and tomato puree to it .Add just a little salt to it .Saute it and cook covered on slow flame for 1-2 minute.
- Add beans to it .Mix nicely and cook it for 1 minute.Add washed and chopped spinach leaves to it .Mix them nicely .
- Add water to it .Taste the salt .If need add just a little .