This Carrot & Peas Pulao always makes me nostalgic. It takes me to my childhood, in my mother’s kitchen where the aroma of this rice nourished our souls. This was our ultimate comfort food.
My mother used to make this pulao with just a few ingredients, and I admit that it was not a very fancy one, but the flavor was spot on. Pure desi ghee, Basmati rice, fresh carrots, and peas with a few whole garam masala spices created magic. It was just bliss on a plate.
I love making this simple pulao for my kids. It’s so amazing that I can make this pulao on the stove top in under 20 minutes. Additionally, it’s simple, easy, filling, and failproof.
What is Carrot & Peas Pulao?
It is a simple rice pulao which can be made really easily by combining carrots, peas and and a few whole spices. I make it in a pan, and with these tips and recipe, I am sure anyone can make it perfectly.
What Type of Rice Do You Use in This Pulao?
I mostly use white basmati rice; however, you can always use brown rice. Brown rice takes little bit more time, but it enhances the texture.
What Can You Serve with Carrot & Peas Pulao?
You can serve it with any type of lentils or curry. It also goes well with chutney, raita, and salad. On the other hand, sometimes my kids like to eat this by itself.
You may also want to check out these recipes to serve with Carrot & Peas Pulao-
Can You Store Carrot & Peas Pulao?
Yes! You can store this pulao in the fridge for up to 4 days. Heat it before serving and it will be delicious. Sometimes, I cook more so that we can eat this another day. I serve it with lentils or curry, and dinner / lunch is sorted.
Why Did Use Pomegranate Arils?
These are just for the garnish and purely optional. Pretty looking food just makes me happy! In the USA, pomegranates are not widely available such as in India. Hence, whenever I see them I use them. They not only enhance the flavors, but also the look of the dish.
Carrot & Peas Pulao
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Oil
- 1/2 Cup Carrot Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Fresh /Frozen Peas
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Arils
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Wash and Soak the rice for 20 minutes .Remove it from the water and let it dry on the thick layer of paper towel for 10 minutes.
- Now take a pan .Heat it. Add ghee /oil to it.
- Add bay leaf and cinnamon stick to it .Let them crackle for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped carrot and peas to it . Saute it on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add rice and salt to it .Stir it and mix it properly .Do it for 1 minute.
- Add water to it .Mix water with the rice and vegetables.
- Cover it with a lid. keep the flame high. Check after 3-4 minutes .It will start boiling by now.
- Turn the flame to low and let it cook covered for 12-13 minute.
- Check the rice after 13 minutes. It should look cooked ,if not, leave it for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame .Do not remove the lid .Keep it covered for 6-7 minute.
- Remove the lid.
- Garnish with Cilantro and pomegranate arils .