Avocado Spinach Roti. Indian flatbread made of whole wheat flour and avocado spinach puree. This roti is soft, nutritious, and quite delicious. Goes well with any type of lentils, vegetables, raita, chutney or pickles.
It is an amazing way to infuse the goodness of avocado and spinach in your diet. It also serves as a great base for any type of wrap or a sandwich.
Why Avocado Spinach Roti?
Avocados are a superfood. They have low saturated fat and are a good source of fiber. They contain 250 mg of potassium per serving. Spinach has lots of iron, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Combining both of them to make a whole wheat roti is the best way to get all the nutrition.
Like most Indian homes roti/paratha is a staple in our house. I try to incorporate vegetables, herbs, and spices to make out roti/paratha more flavourful. For a long time I have wanted to share this roti recipe with you all. I was finally able to document it. Better late then never. It is finally here.
What Ingredients are needed for avocado Spinach Roti?
- Avocado- Select the best quality ripe avocado. When avocados are ripe they look dark brown in color. If you buy green avocados, leave them on the counter for one or two days to make them ripe (good to use).
- Spinach- I used fresh baby spinach however you can use any type of spinach.
- Cilantro- Fresh cilantro for adding more flavour.
- Green Chilies- This is optional but it adds a lot of flavour.
- Salt- Most important ingredient for making any dish.
- Whole Wheat Flour- Whole wheat flour is an absolute must for this recipe however you can use multi grain flour as well. I will not suggest to use all purpose flour or millet flour for this recipe.
How to make avocado spinach roti?
Wash spinach properly and blanch/boil it. In a grinder/blender, make a smooth puree/paste of avocado, spinach, green chilies, and cilantro. Keep it aside. Mix whole wheat, flour, and salt. Make a soft dough with the spinach and avocado puree. I did not use any water to make the dough and I am sure you will not need to do so either. Let it rest for 30 minutes covered on the counter.
Heat a griddle/tawa on the gas stove. Make small balls of equal size of the dough. Roll the dough and cook on both sides on the griddle. Brush a little ghee(optional) on the dough. Serve hot with any side.
Can we store it in the freezer?
We can easily store this roti in ziplocks or in freezer safe containers. Wrap them into a parchment paper and store in the container. It can stay fresh for upto two weeks. Heat them on a griddle and enjoy.
What can we serve with avocado Spinach Roti?
We can serve any type of lentil, curry, raita or chutney with the avocado spinach roti. You may want to check these recipes.
Avocado Spinach Roti
- 3 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1 Avocado,ripe
- 2 Cups Spinach Leaves(Blanched Boiled)
- ⅓ Cup Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Green Chilies (Optional)
- Ghee for roti.(Optional)
- Grind blanched /boiled Spinach ,avocado,cilantro and green chilies to form a smooth puree.
- Mix whole wheat flour with salt.
- Make a smooth soft dough with avocado spinach puree.Cover the dough with a soft towel and let it rest on the counter.
- Make small balls of same size.
- Take a ball and make a flat dough ball out of it .Sprinkle some dry flour on it.
- Roll out a dough into a round circle.
- Take a gridle on the stove and heat it .Place rolled dough on the gridle and cook from both sides.
- Puff the cooked roti on the flame.Apply some ghee on the roti.(optional)
- Your Avocado ,Spinach roti is ready to enjoy.