Vegan Thai Red Curry. Spicy, fragrant, and flavorful, this vegan Thai red curry with tofu is one of the most popular Thai recipes. This curry is loaded with vegetables, so colorful and versatile.
Our family loves Thai food.
When you make Vegan Thai Red curry from scratch, the aroma is fantastic, and you will be salivating at the richness and fragrance of the curry.
So, last weekend, when we were roaming around the farmers market, we thought of making Vegan Thai Red Curry. What could be better than using farm-fresh vegetables and herbs to put in this delectable curry?
Why do we make red curry paste at home?
Making our weekend lunches is mostly a family affair where all of us- including the kids- are involved. We all love to cook, taste and chat during these times. These moments are stress busters, and I believe it brings the whole family together.
Our Thai curries are a labor of love. My husband loves to use his muscle power to make the curry paste with a mortar and pestle. He likes to do it because he profoundly understands flavors and believes that making curry paste this way gives it a fantastic flavor. You can always use the food processor if you want.
You may want to check these Thai recipes,
Pictorial Instruction on Vegan Thai Red Curry
Red Thai Curry Recipe
This is a vegetarian adaptation of the Red Thai Curry Paste
Ingredients for Red Curry Paste
12- 15 Dry Red Chilies
2 Tbsp Shallots
12-15 Garlic pods
3 Tbsp Galangal (if you don't have Galangal, use ginger )
2.5 Tbsp Cilantro Roots
3-4 Kaffir Lime leaves (You can use 1 Tsp of Lemon zest as a substitute
1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Lemongrass Stalk- finely sliced
2 Tsp White peppercorns. I used Black ones
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Dark Soy sauce
Ingredients for Red Curry
2 Cans of Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
¼ Cup Carrot
¼ Cup Beans
¼ Cup Colored Peppers
¼ Cup Thai Eggplants
¼ Cup Snow Peas
¼ Cup Green peas
2-3 Baby Bok Choy
Optional Tofu, yam, Mushroom, and any other vegetables of your choice
Instructions for Thai Red Curry Paste
- Cut the dry chilies horizontally with a scissor and remove the seeds.
- Soak them in warm water for 15 minutes
- Hand pound Peppercorns in mortal and pestle (You can as well use a grinder)
- Mix cumin and coriander powder and keep aside
- Now pound lemongrass, lime leaves, and coriander stalks into a fine paste
- Add soaked dry chilies and pound to a fine paste.
- Now add the dry spice mix from step 3
- Add soy sauce
- Mix well
- Your Thai Red curry paste is ready.
Instructions for Thai Red Curry
- Take a pan, add the Coconut milk on medium heat and reduce it to ¾th.
- In parallel, blench your vegetables in warm water and immediately transfer them to a cold bath.
- Add the Red curry paste.
- Stir for 3-4 minutes
- Furthermore, add 1 Tbsp. Of Tomato paste.
- Stir it for a few minutes
- Now add your blanched vegetables.
- Please give it a quick boil.
- Your succulent and fragrant curry is ready.
- Serve it with white rice, jasmine rice, or brown rice.
Vegan Thai Red Curry
For Vegan Thai Curry Paste
- 15 Dry red chilies
- 2 Tbsp Minced Shallots
- 12 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Tbsp Galangal minced /grated(use ginger if you do not have)
- 3 Tbsp Cilantro roots,chopped
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves(use 1 tsp of lime zest as a substitute)
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Inch Lemongrass stalk ,finely sliced
- 2 Tsp white peppercorn(use black as a substitute
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
Ingredients for Vegan Red Curry
- 2 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Mxed Vegetable of your choice
- ½ Cup Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Oil
How to make Thai Red Curry Paste
- Cut the dry chillies horizontally with a scissor and remove the seeds.
- Soak them in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Hand pound peppercorns, in a mortar pestle.
- Dry roast cumin and coriander seeds and keep them aside.Hand pound them as well.
- Now pound lemon grass,lime leaves and coriander stalks to a fine paste.
- Add soaked dry chilies and make a fine paste.
- Mix everything together and add soy sauce to it .
- Your thai red curry paste is ready .
How to make the Thai Red Curry
- In a pan add little oil and heat it .
- When its hot add 2-3 tbsp of red curry paste and tomato paste .
- Saute fr a few minutes till it releases oil.Add coconut mik and stir it to mix well.
- Blanch all the vegetables.If you want to fry or bake your tofu ,do it now.
- When curry consistency looks good enough for you add all the veggies and tofu to the pan .
- Give a quick taste and add if something is required.
- Your vegan Thai red curry is ready to serve.