Crispy and crunchy from the outside and airy, soft, and fluffy from the inside. This air fryer medu vada is an oil-free breakfast or snack option. Super comforting and wonderfully delicious, this medu vada with sambar is the perfect meal to have. Easy, vegan and kid-approved, this South Indian delicacy is a delight to have.
What is Medu Vada?
Traditionally, Medu Vada is a savoury deep-fried doughnut. It originates from the south of India and tastes delicious. Soaked lentils are ground to a paste consistency and mixed with herbs and spices. Then they are deep-fried and savoured with sambar and chutney.
In today's time when people are avoiding deep-fried food, making air fryer medu vada is a great solution. This air fryer vada is all the same taste minus oil. Try for yourself to see!
How is the Texture of Air Fryer Medu Vada?
If you are thinking that air fryer medu vada will also look the same as deep-fried vada, you would be just a little wrong, but the texture will be spot on:
The shape will be almost perfect, maybe not very round, and it won't look that perfect golden colour. However, the crisp texture and fluffiness will be there. I bet you won't miss the real deep-fried stuff.
Why is the Name Medu Vada?
Medu in Kannada means soft and Vada are crisp south Indian fritters. Hence, the name is Medu Vada. So essentially any Vada which is soft and fluffy from inside and crisp from outside is called Medu Vada.
How to Make This?
The first step is to soak the lentils. Wash all the whole urad dal under running water and soak it for 6 to 8 hours.
Grind them to make a smooth batter. Try to use less water, otherwise, your batter will be runny. Use one or two spoons of cold water during grinding.
After mixing a few herbs and seasonings, bake them in the air fryer for 10-15 minutes. Turn it around to cook it from all the sides and for perfect browning.
Step by Step Recipe With Pictures-
Soak the whole urad dal.
Drain the whole urad dal and grind it with using as little water.
The ground paste will be smooth and fluffy.
Line air fryer basket with parchment paper or tin foil. Parchment paper will be better to use as nothing sticks on it. I have used tin foil because I ran out of it. Then, brush your paper or foil with oil.
Place some batter with the help of spoon on the parchment paper. Shape it like a vada. You can wet your hands and with that you can easily form the shape. Make a hole in between the vadas with the help of a chopstick or spoon.
Bake them at 360 f for 10-15 minutes. Turn them over once they are in much better. Do not rush in this, otherwise, you will break them.
Bake them till they are cooked from all sides and look golden brown. Your time can vary depending on the shape of your vada and air fryer.
Enjoy your vada dipped in hot sambar and chutney.
You May Also Want to Check Out These Air Fried Recipes-
Air Fryer Medu Vada
- 1 Cup Whole Urad Dal/Skinned Black Gram
- 2-3 Tbsp Cold water
- ½ Tsp Salt(You can reduce the quantity if you eat less salt.
- 1 Chopped Green Chili pepper
- ¼ Tsp Crushed Pepper
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- Wash urad dal under running water at least 4-5 times. Soak in a lot of water for at least 5-6 hours.
- Drain the water completely and grind them with the help of a few tbsp cold water.
- Ensure that your grinder doesn't get hot .
- Add salt and make a smooth batter.
- Mix cumin seeds ,green chilies,crushed pepper and curry leaves to the mixture.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 f for one minute.
- Line the basket with parchment paper.Dip your finger in water ,take a small portion of batter. place the batter on the parchment paper .Make a hole in the ceter with your finger or with chopstick.
- Make as many as you can accommodate.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer and air fry them for 10 to 15 minutes on 360 f.
- Turn them around in between.Remove them once they look golden crispy .
- If needed you can brush them once or twice in between.
- Serve them with chutney or sambar.