A perfect alternative to deep-fried ones, these easy air fryer falafel are super crispy and tender on the inside. Chickpeas, fragrant herbs, and spices make this homemade easy air fryer falafel unique. It's gluten-free, vegan, and super healthy.
Middle eastern salad bowls combined with crispy falafel and pita chips are quite popular among my family members.
They like to frequent local or chain restaurants to enjoy this crispy goodness.
However, I always miss something in my falafel. Sometimes it's too bland for my Indian tastebuds or, many times, quite dry. For that reason, I like to cook them at home. I always feel homemade ones are more delicious.
Falafel balls are great for lunch boxes and mezze platters. I like to serve them inside pita pockets with colorful, crunchy salad and tzatziki sauce drizzled over them.
Easy Middle Eastern Baba Ganoush and https://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/ are my favorites to serve the falafel with. I prefer to bake my own Easy Pita Bread. However, store-made bread is a great option too.
Chickpeas are a perfect source of fiber and protein for people who do not eat meat; keeping a bowl of soaked or boiled chickpeas in my fridge always helps me in cooking. I throw them in salads and make curries and different snacks with them. I love to make Chana Masala/Chickpea Curry and various curries with them.
What is falafel?
Falafel is a middle eastern chickpea and herbs ball. Perfect for sandwiches, wraps, and to eat with several dips. It's quite popular in the middle east and the Mediterranean region. This lovely dish is mainly sold as street food and has many variations and combos.
What Ingredients do we need to make Falafel?
Chickpeas(Garbanzo Beans)- Dry chickpeas are soaked overnight to make falafel. Please note that we do not use canned or boiled chickpeas for the recipe.
Garlic- Fresh garlic cloves give the perfect flavor.
Onion- Any onion will work here, but I use red for my recipes.
Parsley- Most flavor comes from this lovely herb.
Cilantro- For flavor and color, both. The amazing fresh flavor of cilantro makes this falafel so good.
Green Chili Pepper- My Indian taste buds always long for the lovely hint of spice from the chilies. You can tone down or skip as per your choice.
Chickpea Flour/Besan- For binding purposes, this flour is used.
Cumin Powder, Crushed black pepper, and a little bit of salt. For that lovely spicy flavor from the warm spices. It surely makes the falafel delicious.
Baking Powder- To give falafel a perfect texture and soft insides.
Oil for brushing the falafel.
How to make Falafel?
Soak Chickpeas- Soaking chickpeas for 6-8 hours is important for making a nice falafel. Soaked dried peas will be doubled after soaking, so use a big pot and lots of water.
Mix everything together in a food processor to make a coarse mixture. Note that we do not need a smooth mixture for making the falafel balls. Mix everything on the pulse for the right texture. A blender will not work.
Keep the mixture in the fridge to chill it. Thirty minutes to 1 hour will be good.
Shape the falafel according to your choice. You can make round balls or patty-type shapes. Using a cookie scooper, make sure that your falafel balls are the same size.
Making Air Fryer Falafel-
Spray the air fryer basket with oil and preheat it. Place the falafel balls or patties in the air fryer and bake for 7-8 minutes or till it's crunchy for you. Turn it over in between for evenly cooking.
How to deep fry the Falafel?
Take a deep frying pan and add oil for frying. When it's hot enough, add falafel balls. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry the falafel on medium flame until it looks crispy and the texture feels right.
Can we freeze falafel?
Yes. The best thing about this lovely dish is that it's absolutely freezer friendly. Place uncooked falafel patties/balls on parchment paper or a silicon mat. Once they look frozen enough, transfer them into the ziplock bags. Store them for up to 2-3 weeks.
You can prepare the patties and balls to keep them in the freeze and deep fry or air fry them after a day or two. It's a great way of doing falafel parties. You can make all the stuff and just air fry or fry them. Individuals can do the assembling.
Easy Air Fryer Falafel
- 1.5 Cup Chickpeas(soaked over night or for 8 hours
- ½ Cup Parsley
- ½ Cup Cilantro
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Fresh Green Chilies(optional)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp Chickpea Flour/Gram Flour
- The previous night you can soak the chickpeas in cold water after washing them properly. They will double in size.
- Drain the chickpeas and place them in a food processor. Add all the above -mentioned ingredients except oil. Pulse all the ingredients to make a coarse meal kind of texture.
- Remove them to a bowl and mix them properly with your hands. You can do that with spoons, too ,but I kind of like my hands in making food.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap or lid and keep them in the fridge for chilling.
- Air frying them- Preheat the air fryer to 360F. Scoop the chickpea mixture to form a round ball or patty structure.
- Brush them with oil before starting air frying.
- Air fry them till they look crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
- Turn them in between the process.
- That will take 7-8 minutes ,depending on the size of your falafel.
How do you deep fry them?
- Take a pan and heat oil in it .
- Drop falafel balls or patties in the pan after its hot.
- Fry them on medium flame till they look crispy and golden.