Air Fryer Veg Balls In Hot Garlic Sauce is one of the most popular Indo-Chinese dishes and today, I am going to share these with a different sauce known as hot garlic sauce.
A long time ago, my husband and I had these fantastic veg balls in hot garlic sauce at a restaurant in India.
Since then, we have conducted so many experiments to achieve that flavourful sauce and now, I can say that we have successfully developed a wonderful-tasting hot garlic sauce.
Here I am going to share the recipes for both-
Air Fried Veg Balls and Deep Fried Veg Balls
You can check these other air fryer Recipes,
How to Make Air-Fried Veg Balls-
First, we have to grate all the vegetables we are going to use. You can use a food processor, but I prefer a grater (call me old-fashioned.)
The next step is to remove all the water from the vegetables by straining them in a cheesecloth.
Now is the time to add ginger, garlic, green chili, soy sauce, cornstarch, and maida.
Grease your palm with little oil and make veg balls of the same size.
I wanted to see the difference between air-fried balls and deep-fried veg balls, so for that, I made a big batch of vegetable balls.
1st batch- Air Fry...Air Fry them at 370 F for 10-12 minutes. Turn it over once. Do not overcrowd the air fryer.
There is not much of a difference between Air Fried Veg Balls and Deep Fried Veg Balls- see for yourself!
Making of sauce For Air Fryer Veg Balls in Hot Garlic Sauce,
The first step is to finely chop ginger, garlic, and green chili.
The second step is to mix a few sauces to prepare a wonderful hot garlic sauce.
Air Fryer Veg Balls In Hot Garlic Sauce
- 2.5 Cups Grated Cabbage
- 1 Cup Grated Carrot
- ½ Cup Green Capsicum/Pepper(chopped finely)
- 1 Tsp Grated ginger(you can use paste)
- 1 Tsp Grated garlic.(you can use paste)
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper powder
- 4 Tbsp Corn flour
- 4 Tbsp All purpose flour /Maida
For making the gravy.
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil.(you can reduce the quantity to one tbsp if you are watching your diet.
- 1 Tbsp Grated Ginger/finely chopped
- ¼ Cup Chopped garlic(chop really fine)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Green Chilli
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Schezwan chilli sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Green Onion
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
A little oil to grease your palm during making of veg balls.
How to make Veg Balls
- Grate all the vegetables in a food processor or by using a grater.
- Transfer these vegetables into a big bowl.
- Add salt ,soy sauce ,black pepper ,corn flour and all purpose flour to it .
- Mix it nicely .
- Oil/Grease your palm and make veg balls of the same size.If you are still have difficulty in making balls and they are breaking add just a little corn starch to it .
- Preheat air fryer to 370 F.
- Air fry veg balls for 10-12 minute on 370 F.Turn them once during the process.Your time can vary a little ,depending the size of your balls and air fryer.You need to check for perfectly light brown balls . It won't be very crispy.(crispy enough though)
- After its air fried remove them from the air fryer and keep them aside.
- If you are deep frying add oil to a pan .Heat it .
- Fry Veg balls in two ,three batches.
- For more crispy balls I will suggest Frying twice.
- Keep it in a plate after frying.
How to make Hot Garlic Sauce
- Take a wok.
- Heat it on high flame .
- Add oil to it .
- Add ginger ,garlic and green chillies to it .
- Reduce the heat to low flame now otherwise your Ginger garlic will burn.
- Mix all the sauces and brown sugar .
- Add them to wok and fry till you can smell the lovely umami aroma.
- Add corn starch with ½ cup of water and add to it .Let this sauce come to the boil.
- Add rest of the water to the sauce and boil it for 2-3 minute.If it looks thick for your taste add water or if its thin let it boil till it thickens to your liking.
- Add veg balls to it and just let sit in the sauce for 2-3 minute,before you serve.Do not boil it .
- Serve hot with Fried Rice/Plain White Rice /Noodles.
Important Points to remember--
---Do not use too much cornflour or all-purpose flour in making the balls. If your veg balls are breaking, add a little until you can form them.
-After chopping/grating vegetables, squeezing the vegetables is really important. The use of a cheesecloth or kitchen towel is suggested.
--Do not mix veg balls and garlic sauce together until just before serving- otherwise, they will be soft and break easily.
--There are no strict rules in making this sauce though it's advisable to use the recipe in order to achieve the taste. You can tweak the recipe according to your personal preferences and tastes.