Harissa Spiced Fried Rice. Crunchy vegetables flavoured with some harissa spice mix are cooked and combined with rice and lemon juice. It's delicious, slightly spicy and perfect for a hearty meal. Vegan and gluten-free, this veg fried rice is perfect for pot lucks and get-togethers.
Who doesn't want a pick me up type meal on a busy weekday or a perfect hearty meal on a comforting, cosy weekend night? Believe me, this Harissa Spiced Fried Rice is super simple and easy, and only needs 20 minutes of your active time.
If you have cooked white rice tucked in the fridge somewhere, you are good to go with a few pantry and fridge staples. It only needs a few vegetables and spice mix. Then, it will be your stove to table dinner in a flash of time. Make this fried rice once and you will be hooked to this.
What All Do You Need for Making this Recipe?
Harissa Spice Mix- You can use a store-bought spice mix or you can make this by yourself. It's a strong spicy spice mix with lovely colour and a fiery kick.
Cooked Rice- Fried rice is always good with cooked cold rice. Perfectly cooked grains are all separated and mixed with all the vegetables, herbs and spices. It just can't be more wonderful.
Vegetables- I have used cauliflower, carrots, green beans, green peas, and coloured red peppers in this. Of course, you can use your own choice of vegetables as well.
Dry Fruits- I have dates and apricot for some Middle Eastern flavors.
Herbs- Use mint and cilantro for wonderful flavors.
Lemon/Lime Juice- For those super fresh and tangy enhanced flavors.
What Can You Serve With This Harissa Spiced Fried Rice?
Normally they pair well with yoghurt raita and salad. I like to serve them with Dum Aloo/Dum Alu or Malai Kofta/ Restaurant Style Malai Kofta. It depends on your choice but a lovely veg feast can also include Baked Naan Bread or a few Baked Amritsari Paneer Kulcha. You can also serve some Angoori Rasmalai or Dry Fruit Saffron Kheer or Rice Pudding.
How Is This Fried Rice Different From Other Fried Rice?
It uses a Middle Eastern spice mix and that's why it's different from Indian veg fried rice. Mexican fried rice also uses a very different set of herbs and spices. it uses dry fruits like all the middle eastern rice dishes. The same rule applies to Indo-Chinese fried rice which uses a really high temp of cooking and different condiments.
You May Also Want to Check Out These Other Fried Rice Recipes-
Harissa Spiced Fried Rice
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice ,cold or room temp.
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Chopped Onion
- 2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- ½ Cup Cauliflower Florets (Medium Size)
- ⅓ Cup Carrot Slice,little thick
- ¼ Cup Green Peas
- ⅓ Cup Green Beans ,Chopped
- ⅓ Cup Colored Peppers
- ¼ Cup Dates,chopped
- ¼ Cup Apricots,Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Harissa Spice Mix
- 1 Tbsp Mint Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Lemon/Lime Juice
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder(Optional)I am using it for anti oxidant properties.
- Salt according to the taste
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- Take a pan .Add oil and heat it .
- When its hot enough add garlic to it .Saute it for 30 seconds on medium flame .
- Add chopped onion at this time .Saute for 1 minute.
- Add carrot and cauliflower to the pan and cook for 1 minute on low /medium flame .
- Add green beans to it and cover with a lid .Cook it for 2 minutes covered on low flame .
- Add green peas and colored peppers to the pan and cook covered for 2 more minutes on low flame .Add dates and apricot at this time and mix it well .
- Add salt ,turmeric powder and harissa spice mix to it .Saute for 30 second and add tomato puree to it .
- Cook for one more minute and then add cooked rice to it .Mix vegetables and rice nicely .
- Add mint leaves and cilantro leaves to it Sprinkle some lemon juiceand taste the seasoning ..
- Serve with side of your choice or just like that .