Why Is It Called Amritsari Kulcha?
Since it originated from the city of Amritsar, it's called Amritsari Kulcha. The city is famous for its different types of delicious food like Naan, Kulcha, Chole, Dal Instant Pot Dal Makhani (Healthy Version of Traditional Dal Makhani), Fish, and many more items.
What is Kulcha?
Kulcha is an Indian flat bread which is traditionally prepared in a Tandoor /Clay pot Oven. It is prepared traditionally using all purpose flour, but we can make this with whole wheat flour or fifty fifty of both. It can be kept plain or prepared with any type of stuffing, like potatoes, paneer, mix veg or anything for that matter. It depends on your imagination.
How is the Texture of Baked Kulcha Different from Tandoori Kulcha?
You cannot beat the taste and texture of tandoori Kulcha, but in modern day life, when we don't have accesses to tandoors, making kulcha in the oven is the next best thing. Oven baked Amritsari kulcha is a wonderful combo of crispy and soft. It's texture is absolutely melt-in-the-mouth.
Why Did I Use Yeast for Making Kulcha?
After several attempts with baking powder and baking soda, I was not getting the satisfactory results. Those were good kulchas, but just not the perfect one. So, one day when we were making pizza, I thought that maybe we could use this basic dough recipe for making kulcha. The addition of a little milk in dough makes this dough very soft.
Can I Make Whole Wheat Kulcha?
Absolutely. Traditionally, kulchas are made of all purpose flour, but you can make them by using half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. You can make whole wheat as well. It depends on your taste. Maybe the whole wheat ones don't rise that much and does not give that beautiful color and texture. You might want to try Whole Wheat Gobhi /Spicy Cauliflower Kulcha(Instant and Without yeast) or Kulcha (Matar Kulcha)
How to Make Stuffed Paneer Amritsari Kulcha?
First we have to make a stuffing of paneer, a few spices, and herbs. Stuff this paneer stuffing in the kulcha and then roll it. Bake it in a pre-heated oven for a few minutes. Remove from the oven, brush with some butter, and your stuffed Amritsari kulcha is ready.
How to Serve Amritsari Kulcha?
Pictorial Presentation of the Making of Kulcha-
Amritsari Paneer Kulcha
- 2+2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour+All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Plain Yoghurt(Do not use for vegan Option)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Pack Instant Yeast( 7 gms)
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Milk(for vegan option just use water)
- 3 Tbsp Oil ,avocado or olive oil.
For Paneer Stuffing
- 3 Cups Grated /Crumbled Paneer
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Chat Masala
- 1 Tsp Anardana Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Black Salt /Normal Salt
- Butter brushing the kulcha(Use any oil for for vegan option)
- ¼ Cup Anardana Powder
- ¼ Cup Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Nigella Seeds
Making of Dough
- Warm 1 cup of water .Mix sugar and yeast to it and keep it Covered for 20 minutes in a warm place .You will ask why I am blooming Instant yeast ?But let me tell you, It is the most amazing hack I am doing since last 1 year .This gives a wonderful dough.
- Take a big Bowl .Mix All purpose flour and Whole wheat flour in it.
- Add salt to it .
- Now take the the bloomed yeast water and add oi and Yoghurt to it. Whisk it lightly.
- Make a nice dough with this yeast water .Use one cup of milk which we have kept till now. Sometimes whole wheat flour soaks little more liquid(I kneaded mine nice and soft with 2 cups of water and milk. .If you need more liquid to make dough add some water or milk. You need to make a supple and smooth dough. Do not use cold milk from fridge ,if you have cold milk warm it for 30 seconds. It shouldn't be hot either.
- Proofing of dough is really important .I proofed it in a an instant pot for 1 hour on yoghurt mode .You brush any big vessel with oil and let it proof for 1 hour or more till it becomes double . Whole wheat mix dough will be little less proofed than all purpose flour dough when it rises. Keep it covered in a warm place.Kneading is really important .Knead it for at least 8-10 minute to make a smooth and soft dough.
How to do second Proofing
- Poke the dough with your fingers and knead it again for 4-5 minute.
- Make equal size balls from this dough.In a tray or plate place these balls on some distance from each other.Cover it with a cloth and keep it in a warm place.Leave it for 20 minutes .When 20 minutes are almost done ,preheat the oven on 550 f .Keep your baking tray inside it for preheat .Heating of tray is really really important .
How to prepare the Stuffing
- Mix everything together (written under stuffing).Taste it and if you need to add something .Adjust it .There is no rule for making stuffing .You can use ,whatever you like.
How to roll the Amritsari Kulcha
- Take a dough ball.Make a small dent in that .Fill it with paneer stuffing and seal it.Garnish it with a few kalongi seeds ,anardana ,red chilli powder and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Place this stuffed ball on a board or counter top.With the help of your fingers make it flat from all the sides.Now roll the dough with the help of a roller pin.It will be little thick and medium/small in size.Do not make it thin ,otherwise it won't puff up.
- Place your Kulcha on the pre heated tray and keep the tray on top shelf and bake it 10 -11 minute. After its puffed up and look golden
- First lot of kulcha takes more time but second lot will be ready in 7-8 minutes. brown I prefer to broil it for 30 seconds .It gives a nice tandoori crust to the kulcha. Keep an eye while doing this because sometimes it burns very quickly.P.S-Your time can vary a little depending on thickness of your kulcha or size of your oven .Keep an eye on them.If you are using OTG ,it will take less time .Keep an eye on your kulcha.
- Remove it from the oven and brush with butter (optional).
- Serve this with Chole or Raita .
Pin it for later reference :