One of the most popular North Indian Curries, Methi Matar Malai is easy to make and tastes delicious. Most restaurants have this on their menus, but most of the time they are not very successful in creating the real flavour. The dish is known for its slight hint of bitterness which comes from fenugreek leaves or methi, combined with the sweetness of cream.
I prefer to make this dish with fresh fenugreek leaves, but in case you cannot get a hold of it, you can use Kasoori Methi soaked in water. It will still taste amazing.
Methi Matar Malai
- Heavy Bottomed Pan.
- 1.5 Cup Fenugreek Leaves(roughly chopped and boiled for 2-3 minutes) drain it on a paper towel.
- 1 Cup Green Peas(If using frozen keep in cold water to retain the color,and if using fresh then boil it )
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream(Do not use this if you are trying to cut calories )
- 1 Big Onion(,Chopped and boiled in water)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Poppy seeds(soaked in water for 15 minutes and then drain all the excess water through a tea strainer.
- 10-12 Cashews (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes.)
- 1 Stick Cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 Tbsp Desi Ghee(Use just one tbsp for low calorie recipe)
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Milk
salt according to taste.
- Take a Pan .
- Add one tbsp of ghee to it .(If you are making low calorie then do not saute it in ghee. Just grind all the ingredients together.
- Add boiled and drained onion ,ginger ,garlic ,green chillies,cashews,and poppy seeds.Saute it on medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Take a blender /grinder and make a paste out of it .
- Now take the same pan and add another 1 tbsp of ghee to it .
- Add whole garam masala to it .
- Let it sizzle for 1 minute .
- Add fenugreek leaves to it .Fry for 2-3 minutes on low /medium flame .
- Add Masala paste to it and fry on medium flame for 4-5 minute.
- Add Green Peas to it and Mix it .
- Saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add cream to it .Mix milk to it and let it boil for 2-3 minutes
- Add water and salt to it .
- Let it thicken a bit and if it comes to the desired consistency ,switch off the flame .
- Serve it hot with Naan or Roti .