Sharing is caring!!!
One of the most popular side dishes in Korea, this Spicy Korean Braised Potato is easy and delicious. It needs just a few ingredients and a simple cooking technique. It is vegan and plant-based.
Coated with a sweet and spicy glaze, these Korean glazed potatoes are a show-stopper dish.
My kids love Korean food, and other then trying them at restaurants, we love to experiment at home. For breakfast, I love to make Korean Vegetable Pancake and sometimes Korean Crispy Tofu Buddha Bowl,
Spicy Korean Style Soba Noodles are my lunch choices. It's funny how Asian flavors are so much popular in or day to day life. The popularity of K drama among teenagers is creating a strong demand for Korean food and much more. Well, that is for some other day; let's return to the topic.
What is Spicy Korean Braised Potato?
Gamja Jorim, or Korean braised potato, is a popular veg potato dish. Delicious boiled baby potatoes are pan-fried to perfection and simmered in sweet, spicy sauce. The simmering makes the thick sauce dark in color and very rich in taste.
I love this potato dish as an appetizer, but you can try it with cooked sticky rice. This potato dish is a real comfort food.
Baby Potatoes- Any baby potatoes can be used. I have used two types of colored potatoes sold in a bag. Red, white, or yellow, any potato can be used. If you use bigger ones, slice them into two or four slices.
Sesame Seeds- White sesame seeds add so much depth of flavor and crunch to the dish.
Minced Garlic-Amazing flavor because of minced garlic. Garlic makes everything delicious.
Dark Soy Sauce-
Honey /Maple Syrup/Brown Sugar
White pepper Powder
Spicy Korean Braised Potato
- 1 lb Baby Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
For Sauce Mix
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Honey /maple syrup/brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Gochugaru(korean red pepper flakes),you can reduce the quantity if you want)
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Green Onion
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water till they are fork tender.
- Drain the excess water and tap dry the potatoes with a paper towel.
- Take a pan or wok and heat the oil.Cook the potatoes till they look golden fried.
- Pour the sauce mix over the potatoes and let it simmer over the low heat for around 3 -4 minutes.
- Switch off the flame ,garnish with scallion and seasame seeds.
- Enjoy .
Leave a Reply