Beetroot Stir-fry, Indian style is a dry curry with just a few ingredients. It's simple, healthy, and the perfect side to go with any protein. In addition, it is vegan and gluten-free.
Growing up, we had this beetroot curry so many times. My mom believed that for us vegetarian kids, beetroot is a godsend vegetable. She used to feed us raw beetroot, in salads, in soups or this type of stir fry. We loved this curry dish with white rice. We were also always amazed at how the color of the rice changed to a beautiful pink after mixing with beetroot. It looked so very pretty.
I love how simple and easy this beetroot fry is. It doesn't use more than 5-6 ingredients and everything is easily available. Furthermore, the spice from the green chili, and tanginess from the lemon juice, combined with the sweetness of the beetroot, makes this dish just unbelievable in taste.
There are two types of people, some just love beetroot, and some hate it, but no one is in between. As for me, I absolutely adore this vegetable. The fresh beetroot chopped and used in this curry will have a wonderful taste and that too, without losing any texture. I like to call this a stir fry rather than curry because here we are not losing the beetroot texture in the process of making the curry. You will feel the bite and that adds to the flavour.
What Ingredients are Needed to Make This?
Beetroot- We will need fresh beetroot for this recipe. Canned beetroot will not work in this recipe. Their textures are different, and we need both freshness and texture. Since we are not using any spices, we need the best of ingredients.
Green Chilies- I have used green chillies sold in Indian stores, however, you can use any type of green chillies. If you do not want them, you can skip them as well.
Lime/Lemon Juice- I have used a sprinkling of lime juice in the end to enhance the taste of beetroot.
Fresh Cilantro Leaves
What can You Pair this With?
Really, you just need to pair this with any type of protein or vegetables. It will taste amazing with rice and lentils. Sometimes, I try this as a sandwich filling. It also tastes amazing as a topping on bruschetta. Be creative and enjoy this as per your liking!
You may want to serve this stir fry with these dishes,
Dal Palak/Lentil Soup with spinach
Beetroot Stir Fry
- 2 Medium Fresh Beetroots, chopped nicely.
- 1 Tbsp Oil (You can reduce the quantity according to your choice)
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Green chilies ,slit lengthwise (Optional)
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt ,according to the taste.
- 1 Tbsp Lime/Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Chopped fresh Cilantro
- Peel the beetroots .Chop them
- Take a pan /Wok.Add oil to it .
- When its hot ,add green chili and cumin seeds .Let them crackle.
- Add chopped beetroot to it .add salt and turmeric .Saute them for 30 second and cover with a lid.
- Cover the pan /wok for 2-3 minute on low flame .Remove the lid and stir once.
- Cook it for 5-6 minutes more with the lid on .If you think its sticking to the pan add 1 tbsp of water to it .
- Remove the lid and stir it on medium flame for one minute.Add lime/lemon juice.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve .
Leave a Reply