Learn to make restaurant style Kadhai Paneer/Karahi paneer. This recipe is our family favourite and let me tell you, after making this, you will never go back to any other recipe. It’s easy, very flavourful, and I bet you will lick your fingers after eating this.
How to Make Kadhai Paneer?
Paneer cubes, capisicum, onions, and tomatoes are sauted and added to a fragrant onion-tomato gravy. This is one of the most delicious paneer dishes and you can prepare this in under 40 minutes. At home, we always prepare our own fresh kadhai masala. This homemade masala elevates the level of this gravy and makes it drool-worthy.
How to Make Kadhai Masala?
Roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel, and dry red chillies. Grind it and your homemade kadhai masala is ready. Isn’t it easy?
For Kadhai Masala
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 4 Dry red Chillies
For Making Gravy
- 3 Tbsp Oil (we will saute Paneer and vegetables in one tbsp and use 2 tbsp for gravy . If you making it light just add one tbsp for gravy making ,
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste.
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp Kadhai Masala
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Medium Tomato (finely diced)
- 1.5 Medium Onion (finely diced)
- 2 Tbsp Curd/yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp Butter(optional)
- 1 Tbsp Cream(optional)
- 1 Tbsp Kasoori methi
Whole Masala for the Gravy
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
Main Ingredients For Making the Kadhai Paneer
- 500 Gm Paneer
- 1/2 Medium Onion(cut into cubes)
- 1/2 Coloured peppers/Capsicum (cut into cubes)
- Take a wok .
- Add one tbsp oil to it .
- Heat it .
- Shallow fry paneer pieces till they look pink .(you don't have to make it brown )Soak it in to a salty warm water till you make the gravy.If you are making it light just dry roast it in a pan or air fry it .
- Saute onion and peppers(capsicum)as well.Keep these aside.
- Roast everything written under Kadhai Masala and grind it .It will be your kadhai Masala.
- Add rest of the 2 tbsp of oil.Use just 1 tbsp of oil if you are making it light.
- Add bay leaf ,cumin seeds and cinnamon stick to it .Let it crinkle.
- Add diced onion and saute on medium heat till it looks translucent and soft.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of salt to it .Saute for 3-4 minute on slow flame .
- Add ginger Garlic paste till the raw smell is gone.
- Mix kashmiri red chilli with 2 tbsp of water and add it to pan.Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric,coriander powder to it and saute for 2-3 minutes till the oil separates. if it dries out add 1 tbsp of water and saute again for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced tomato to it .Saute till it looks mushy.Around 4-5 minute on medium to low flame till all the spices are mixed enough and oil separates.At this time add Kadhai Masala to it and saute for one minute.(Since we have roasted it previously ,no need to do any thing now.
- Add curd on low heat.stir it on low flame other wise it will curdle.
- Add onion ,capsicum/pepper to it and saute for 1 minute.
- Add Paneer to it and cook for 3-4 minute.
- Add kasoori methi and cream to it .
- Add 1 tbsp ghee for that special taste (purely optional)
- Taste the gravy and if you want you can little salt .(according to your taste.)
- Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve .