Nowadays, at home, I have an obsession with creating street food and take out food. Mostly, these foods are Indian or Asian. Haven't we all missed normal life where going to a take out joint/restaurant didn't involve worrying about a mask, gloves, and sanitizers?
This new normal is not helping anybody, particularly people who love to go out. Food and family time is the only thing which is maintaining our sanity.
So, with the start of this work from home age (read covid era), my husband is on a major diet change and not preferring carbs. So far, his journey has been amazing. I am trying to create a delicious dishes which not only taste good, but are good for the stomach too.
Well, do you love tofu?
Guys, I love it now, but I was not always a fan. So, now that I love it, I am creating so many dishes with it. The texture of tofu is like a sponge which absorbs all of these flavours. Mostly, my tofu dishes are Asian inspired, but I do cook Indian food with this.
What Type of Tofu is Good for Cooking?
It depends on one's personal preference, but I do like the texture of extra firm tofu. It can hold its shape, so baking or shallow pan frying is good with it.
Why is Pressing Tofu Important?
Tofu has a lot of water content, and for it to soak the flavours, tofu needs to be free from water. You can definitely use a tofu press if you have one. However, I prefer pressing it with a thick layer of paper towel and putting a heavy object on top.
Making of Sauce
It's really simple and easy. We are making our own sauce by mixing a few of them. Asian flavour is a wonderful combination of sweet and spicy and for that we need to understand the ratio. Once we get to know how the flavour profile works, it's really easy.
What Do You Serve With Sweet and Spicy Tofu?
I prefer to eat white rice and some steamed/roasted broccoli with it. You can have anything, from salad, to rice, to bread.
Hot and Sweet Tofu
- 14 Oz Tofu (Extra Firm)
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1+1 Tsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha/Schezwan Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Chilli Paste(You can always reduce or increase the quantity)
- 1+1 Tbsp Brown Sugar/Maple Syrup(you can always reduce or increase the quantity)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic(Finely)
- ½ Tbsp Chopped Fresh Green Chilli
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 5-6 2 inch long sticks Green Onion
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds(optional)
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- Cover tofu with 2-3 layers of paper towel and press it with a pan .(do not use very heavy object ,tofu can break easily)
- Cut it into square pieces .
- Coat it with the oil(1 tsp).Mix garlic powder ,salt ,and pepper .Mix it nicely.
- Now add corn starch with tofu .It will be just enough to coat tofu lightly .
- Take a pan .Add oil to it .
- Shallow fry tofu in it.
- You can air fry tofu on 370 f for 7-8 minutes if you want .You can bake as well .Sometimes people just want to use tofu ,without any coating ,that is also fine. Do not use corn flour in that case.
- When it looks little crispy remove it in a plate .It depends on your personal preference.
- Take a bowl .Mix Soy Sauce .brown sugar, chilli paste ,sriracha together .Whisk it
- Take a pan /Wok.
- Add oil to it.
- Add chopped Garlic and Chopped chilli to it .When they look light brown add green onion to it .Saute once and add our mixed sauce to it.
- Stir it carefully and add water mixed with Corn starch. Stir it for 2-3 minute till the sauce starts bubbling .
- When it starts thickening add tofu to it. Coat tofu with sauce nicely.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion and serve.
- Goes well with white rice ,steamed vegetables even Naan bread.
Making of Chilli Paste
- Soak 6-7 dry red chillies into hot water for 15 minutes .Remove the seeds before soaking.
- Add vinegar and make a paste .Your chilli paste is ready to use.
Important Recipe Notes.
- If you do not prefer eating very spicy food ,you can reduce the quantity of Chilli Sauce and Sri Racha Sauce to 1 tbsp each. .Accordingly reduce the brown sugar and maple syrup to 1 tbsp in total .You can also use honey in the place of brown sugar.