Black Bean Tostadas with Mango Salsa are crispy, toasted /baked tortillas topped with wonderful crunchy salad, slightly tangy mango salsa, and creamy avocados. It's fresh, healthy, and comes together in a really short amount of time.
What is a Tostada?
The word tostada is a Spanish word, meaning toasted tortilla. Traditionally, it's fried, but I always insist on baking or toasting in the pan with just a little amount of oil. You can use all the toppings used in tacos. Using different types of salsa, beans, and vegetables add texture and elevates the flavor. I have made black bean tostada with mango salsa.
How to Make Black Bean Tostadas with Mango Salsa-
It's quite simple and easy to make. Whenever you want something other than the usual tortilla, you can make it, and it will be an easy fix for dinner or lunch. Traditionally, corn tortillas are used in this recipe but I use any tortillas. Corn tortillas will definitely be more crispy and crunchy, but I like mine in between. I don't see any difference when I make this using whole wheat tortilla.
Using two-three steps for this recipe is always convenient and easy. The first step is to toast or bake the tortilla. Using small tortillas is always advisable so that you can use this as finger food.
The second step is to cut all types of crunchy vegetables. I prefer to use purple cabbage, jalapeno and green capsicum. Make mango salsa and use the vegetables as well.
The third step is to make black bean filling by combining canned black beans, corn, tomatoes and a few spices. These warm spices will make the bean filling really hearty and delicious.
Can You Make Tostadas Ahead of Time?
Actually, you can prepare everything in advance and store. If you are throwing a tostada party, you can always opt for a store-bought tostada. They are mostly available in all grocery stores and quite reasonably priced as well. Make the bean filling ahead of time, chop all the veggies and prepare mango salsa. Then, keep everything in airtight containers and keep them refrigerated.
When you want to assemble, just warm the tostadas in an oven and bean filling in the microwave. Assemble them as per your liking and serve. Enjoy!
You May Also Want to Check Out These Tex Mex Inspired Recipes-
Mexican Green Rice/Arroz Verde
Black Bean Tostada with Mango Salsa
- 4 Corn tortilla/You can use use whole wheat if you want
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- Oil for baking or shallow frying the tortillas
For Black Bean Filling
- 2 Cans Black Bean
- 1 Can Sweet Corn
- 1 Big Vine ripe tomato ,chopped
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Paprika Powder
- ½ Tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt ,according to the taste
- ¼ Tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice/Lemon Juice
For Crunchy Salad
- 2 Cups Shredded Purple Cabbage
- ¼ Cup Long slices of green peppers
- ½ Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
For Mango Salsa
- 1 Big Mango, diced
- ½ Medium Onion ,diced
- 1 Small Jalapeno ,sliced
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Cup Chopped Ripe Avocado
- 1 Cup Sour Cream (Optional)
Making of Mango Salsa
- Combine every thing together written under mango salsa. Keep it in a glass bowl ,cover with a tight lid and store in the fridge.
For Black Bean Filling
- Take a pan .Add 1 tsp of oil to .Heat it .
- Crush the beans .Stir everything together to make a nice filling .Taste the seasoning. If you want you can add it .Remove it in a bowl.
Making of salad
- Shred all the vegetables after washing and drying them .Store them in the fridge .
Making of Tostadas
- Take a pan .Heat it .Add sufficient oil for pan frying the tostada ,do not add much .since we will do one at a time .
- Pan fry the tortillas from both sides till it looks crispy for your liking .
- Alternatively you can line your tortillas with oil and bake them in a oven on 400 f for around 6-7 minutes .Your time can vary depending on your oven .Pre heating oven is required.
Assembling of Tostadas
- Take a tostada.
- Arrange black bean filling properly on that .
- Place some mango salsa and crispy salad .
- Drizzle some sour cream or garnish with avocado .
- You can use little taco seasoning at this time .
Leave a Reply