Turmeric cumin rice is a vibrant yellow colored rice. The antioxidant properties of turmeric, cumin seeds, and cinnamon makes it a wonderful side to go with any curry or lentil dish. It is also vegan and gluten free.
Do you love rice? I for one am an ardent rice lover. Rice is one of the most important staple foods in the Indian household.
I grew up eating rice every day of the week for lunch. Our food was mostly rice, lentils, and vegetables for lunch. Dinner was mostly roti with some curry or dal. I loved rice then and I still do.
Turmeric is an integral part of Indian cuisine and since ancient times it has been used for its medicinal properties. The healing powder of turmeric combined with its antioxidant properties is no secret. We use turmeric as a spice in almost everything.
Why Turmeric Rice?
White rice is boring. Isn't it? Turmeric rice looks pretty, tastes delicious, and has amazing health benefits.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a rhizome, it is in the same family as ginger. Dry turmeric is grinded up to make a powder. This powder has almost no taste of its own and is certainly not spicy. It is used in every curry, in lots of desserts, as well as in alternative medicine.
How To Make Turmeric Rice?
It's really simple and easy. Here I would like to share two ways to cook it: stove top and with an instant pot.
Instant Pot Method - First wash the rice with running cold water and spread it over a paper towel for drying. Dry it for about 15 minutes. Turn the Instant pot saute button on. Add a little bit of oil/ghee to it.
Once it's hot enough add cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks to it. Let them crackle. Add rice to it. Saute for 1 minute till the rice grains are coated with oil/ghee. Add turmeric powder and salt to it.
Saute for 30 seconds. Add water. Stir it once and cover with the lid. Cancel the saute button and turn on the pressure cooking and adjust the time to 6 minutes. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes and let it release the steam naturally. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with the help of a fork. Serve it with any side and enjoy.
Stove Top Method- Take a pan. Add oil /ghee to it. Add cinnamon stick and cumin seeds to it. Once they start to crackle, add rice to it. Saute on medium flame for 1 minute and add turmeric and salt to it.
Saute again for 30 seconds. Add water to it and stir it once. Cover the pan with a lid, and keep it on a low flame. Let it cook on the low flame covered for 13 minutes. Turn off the flame. Let it sit for 7-8 minutes. Remove the lid. Fluff it up with a fork. Enjoy.
Turmeric Cumin Rice
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
- Wash rice in running cold water. Drain the water and spread the rice on a plate lined with paper towel. Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Turn on the saute button of instant pot on. Add oil/ghee to it .
- When it displays hot, add cumin seeds and cinnamon stick to it. Let them crackle .
- Add rice to it. Saute it for 1 minute. Add salt and turmeric to it. Saute again so that turmeric and oil can coat the rice grains nicely.
- Add water to it. Stir it once and close the lid.
- Cancel the saute button on. Turn the valve to seal in position and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Let it release the pressure naturally .
- Remove the lid after pressure is released naturally. Fluff it with a fork .
- Serve it with any side or enjoy it by itself .
- Enjoy .
Leave a Reply