Cabbage and Carrot Stir Fry with Green Peas. It is the simplest and most delicious of cabbage recipes. It's easy, takes very little time, and involves just a few ingredients. Vegan and gluten-free, this recipe is diet friendly and low carb as well.
I remember when I was growing up this was my dad's favorite stir fry, and for that reason, it was a staple in our home. This dish tasted the best in the winter times when the best cabbages and carrots were available. The light sweetness which comes from carrots and caramelized onions enhances the taste. Undoubtedly, my mom made this simple vegetable fry an amazing side dish.
My mother in law also loved this dish of mine. She always told me she loved how balanced and tasty this dish was without any spices. You will not believe that it is an Indian recipe, that too without any curry spice. Yes, it's true, in this recipe you can taste the vegetables, not just the spices.
What Ingredients are Needed for This Stir Fry?
Cabbage- Fresh young cabbage works best for this recipe since you are not using any spices for this dish.
Carrot- Fresh carrot works well.
Green Peas- I have used frozen green peas in this recipe.
Onion- Red onion works best in this recipe as it is crunchy and provides a wonderful texture to the dish.
Green Chili Pepper- I have used green Indian chilies in this recipe- however, any green chili will work.
Avocado Oil/Mustard Oil- I have used mustard oil- however, you can use either oil of your choice.
Fenugreek Seeds- They bring the best flavor in this dish- however, if for some reason you do not like fenugreek seeds, you can use cumin seeds or just skip it.
Lemon Juice- Adds a perfect tangy taste and balances the sweetness of the carrot and green peas.
Green Cilantro- Adds a little fresh touch to the dish.
What Can You Serve With This Cabbage Stir Fry?
You can eat this stir fry as a salad without using any carbs at all.
Can You Store This Cabbage and Carrot Stir Fry?
Yes, of course! You can store this stir fry in the fridge for a few days, but remember, this will lose the crunch and texture of the vegetables. Here I would like to add that this dish will still taste delicious.
Cabbage ,Carrot Stir Fry with Green Peas
- 4 Cup Cabbage ,finely chopped
- 1 Cup Carrot, finely chopped
- ½ Cup Green Peas
- 1 Small Onion ,finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt ,according to the taste
- 1 Tbsp Lemon /Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- ½ Tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Green Chili (Optional)
- Wash and chop /slice all the vegetables.
- Take a wok /Pan .
- Add oil to it .Heat oil till it reaches its smoking point.
- Add fenugreek seeds and green chili to it . Saute it for 30 seconds. Don't let fenugreek seeds turn brown otherwise they will turn bitter.
- Add onion and stir it on high flame for 1 minute .Add cabbage ,carrot to it and turn the flame to medium /low. Add turmeric and salt at this time .
- Cook for 2 minutes on low flame and add green peas to the pan .
- Cook it for 2 minutes more .Suppose you want more crunch then reduce the time to 1 minute.
- Cook it on high flame for 30 second .Add lime /lemon juice ,and green cilantro to it .
- Serve it with any bread ,rice or just like that.