Soft and delicate beetroots, carrots, and paneer kofta balls simmered in this pretty, creamy yellow curry. This Air Fryer Beetroot Kofta Curry dish is absolutely finger-licking and divine.
As per usual, last weekend during our errands, we bought a lot of vegetables and fruits. Our refrigerator broke a few days back. Since then, I have vowed not to stuff it again. But, it happened yet again.
Every day, I take inventory of my fridge and decide on the menu for the day. After seeing two beautiful beetroots, I thought I would use them. Usually, I make beetroot raita, hummus, or halwa. I may also make Vegetable Cutlet/Croquettes or Beetroot Paneer Tikki. I thought of making something different today and surprising everyone for this midweek lunch.
What is Beetroot Kofta Curry?
Kofta is a term widely used for meatballs, but in India, there are many vegetable versions of it. In North India, we make Malai Kofta, Vegetable Kofta, and Lentil Kofta. The most popular is undoubtedly Malai Kofta.
Beetroot Kofta Curry is a mix of grated beetroot, carrot, and paneers. It has a slightly sweet hint if you taste it and it is quite delicate.
The freshness of the beetroots and carrots plays the main part here, and paneer is just the supporting actor. I used just a few things to make this kofta curry.
The idea was to highlight the taste of beetroot, not spices. It's quite subtle and the definition of a dish where just a few ingredients shine.
How to Make Beetroot Kofta Curry-
Don't worry. It's quite easy and doesn't take much time. You can easily make it in under 35 minutes. In my version, I have air-fried the kofta balls after a quick saute in the pan. I didn't want to lose that pretty pink color so I used air frying.
However, you can shallow fry as well. I wouldn't recommend deep frying because it ruins the color and delicate texture of the beetroot kofta.
These kofta balls are simmered in a luscious, creamy gravy which will make you crave more. It's amazing how such simple ingredients can transform into something so exquisite.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Beetroot Kofta Curry-
This goes well with both rice and bread. Since it has a royal charm, I like to serve it with Saffron Rice, Baked Amritsari Paneer Kulcha, or Baked Missi Roti. You can serve it with plain white rice or naan too.
Can You Store Air Fryer Beetroot Kofta Curry?
Absolutely. You can store Beetroot Kofta Curry in the fridge for up to two days. The best idea is to keep the kofta separate in an airtight container and place it in the fridge.
Keep the gravy separate as well. You can assemble this in no time when you need to. You can keep dry kofta in the freezer too; it can stay there for up to one week.
The curry has cream in it, so it cannot be stored for more than two days.
Can We Make This Kofta on the Stovetop?
Yes. I am sharing the air-fried recipe, but you can certainly shallow-fry it in a pan. Shallow frying works best when your kofta is a little flat-shaped.
Make your kofta flat by pressing it softly in your palms and shallow fry it on medium-low flame.
These kofta balls are not supposed to be crispy, so do not make an attempt at that. Fry it lightly so that it is cooked enough to put in gravy.
Air Fryer Beetroot Kofta Curry
For Beetroot Kofta Curry
- 2 Medium Size Fresh Beetroot Grated
- 1 Big Carrot Grated
- ½ Cup Grated Paneer
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Grated/Minced Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli Chopped Finely
- 1 Tbsp Oil(I used avocado oil)
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
For Tomato Cream Gravy
- 1 Medium Onion,chopped finely
- 1 Big Good quality ripe tomato
- 1 Tbsp Ginger chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Kasoori Methi
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder1
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar/Honey
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
For Making Kofta Curry
- Peel beetroot and carrot .Grate them .
- Grate Paneer As well.
- Keep Everything Ready.
- Take a pan .Add ½ tbsp oil to it .
- When it becomes hot ,add ginger and green chilli to it.Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add grated carrot and beetroot to it .Saute it for 1-2 minute on low medium flame.
- Add Salt and red chilli powder to it.Mix it nicely.
- Add grated paneer to it .Mix it well.
- Remove it in a plate and keep it till it comes to room temp.
- Mix corn starch to it. 2 tbsp will be more then enough for making soft KOfta ,but if you are not able to make ,add just a little. Remember that adding too much corn starch will ruin the soft and delicate texture.
- Mix everything together and make small size balls of it .They will be a quarter dollar size.
- While making kofta balls spread some oil /ghee on your palm ,so that your kofta balls are coated with oil.
How to air fry beetroot kofta balls
- Preheat oven to 370 F.Brush the tray of air fryer with little oil so that kofta balls does not stick to it.
- Air fry kofta balls on 370 F for 4-5 minute.Turn them around in between .Do not over crowd the air fryer .You can do it twice .
- Remove it after it looks done .They shouldn't be crispy .They will be soft and delicate.
- Remove it in a plate.
How to shallow fry it on the stove top
- Take a pan .Add enough oil for shallow frying.
- Make your kofta balls little flat by pressing lightly on your palm.
- Shall fry it on medium flame till it looks done but not look crispy.
Making of creamy tomato gravy.
- Take a pan .Add ghee/oil to it.
- When its hot add chopped onion to it.Saute it till it looks little transparent.It will take 2 minutes.
- Add ginger ,garlic and green chilli to it.Saute it on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add coriander powder ,turmeric powder,red chilli powder to it .Saute it for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomato and salt to it .Saute it on low /medium flame till tomatoes are mixed with onion masala.
- Grind this onion tomato paste into a smooth paste.It should be very smooth .You can use 2 tbsp of water for making this paste.
- Now add tomato onion paste to the same pan .Add ½ cup of water and brown sugar ro it.
- Let it cook on medium flame for one minute.
- Add heavy cream to it .Stir it nicely and add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala to it.
- Consistency of gravy should be creamy and little thin.If its too thick add little water ,and if its thin let it cook for some time.
- Taste the salt noew ,if needed ,add just a little.This curry is quite mild in flavour.Too much salt will spoil the flavour.
Assembling the kofta curry
- Take a serving platter .
- Pour gravy over it .Arrange your kofta balls on top .
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.