Tex Mex inspired Couscous-Stuffed Baked Peppers. They are colorful, crunchy, cheesy, and quite filling. They are ideal for easy, comforting dinners on fall/winter nights.
These Tex Mex Peppers Are-
- Easy to assemble. The prep work can be done earlier.
2. Also, they are vegan & gluten-free.
3. Additionally, they are low fat and quite nutritious.
4. Lastly, they are absolutely delicious and can be used for date nights.
What are Tex Mex Flavors?
They are Mexican inspired flavors. Couscous does not have its own taste and it soaks all the flavors provided to it. Black beans, corn, couscous, peppers, cheese, and taco seasoning all provide a depth of flavors.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Tex Mex Peppers?
Bell Peppers- Try to choose colored peppers of the same size. I prefer fresh, crunchy peppers. They will also be used in the filling.
Cheese- Mexican cheese blend works fine, but if you are making a vegan version avoid it or use a vegan cheese alternative.
Couscous/Quinoa/Rice- I have used freshly prepared couscous, but you can certainly use quinoa, rice, or even pasta. Prepare them before stuffing.
Black Beans-I have used canned black beans for this recipe. Additionally, be sure to rinse it properly under running water to cut down the salt content.
Sweet Corn- I have used canned sweet corn; just wash it properly under running water.
Green Onions- Fresh chopped green onions are mild and go well with this recipe.
Taco Seasoning- The taco seasoning gives it a warm flavor and makes it drool-worthy. It enhances the Mexican flavor.
Can You Store Tex Mex Peppers?
Yes. You can keep it in a glass bowl; cover it with a light lid and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Then, just reheat it in the microwave and have it .
What Can You Serve With Tex Mex Peppers?
They are a full meal in themselves, however, you can have salad greens as a side. Drizzle some avocado cilantro sauce or sour cream on top of it. This will take your taste buds to another level.
How Can You Make Tex Mex Peppers?
Make the filling- Take a pan and add oil to it. Then, add all the vegetables and sauté on medium flame. After that, mix taco seasoning and freshly chopped cilantro to it. Cook the couscous according to the package directions. Mix it into the vegetable mixture. Lastly, cook it for one minute on low flame. It's ready!
Preheat the oven- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Cut the Peppers in Half- Wash and cut the peppers. Then, remove all the seeds and brush with a little oil.
Stuff the Peppers- Take a big spoon and scoop the mixture. Fill all the peppers nicely and level them. Sprinkle cheese on them.
Prepare a Baking Pan- Add ¼ cup of water into the bottom of a baking pan. Place stuffed peppers tightly on it. They will fall if they are not stable and tightly packed.
Baking the Peppers- Cover the baking pan with tinfoil and keep it tight. Bake them at 375 F for 40-45 minutes with the tinfoil on. After that, broil them for 5-6 minutes after removing the tinfoil (after 45 minutes). The peppers shouldn't be mushy, and it should still have a bite to it. Broiling will make cheese melt and it will make stuffed peppers look and taste delicious.
Serving the stuffed peppers- Lastly, sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro and serve them with a side of your choice.
You may want to check these Mexican inspired dishes,
Veg Tex Mex Peppers
- 3 Big Colored Ball Pepper
- 1 Cup Cooked Couscous
- ¼ Cup Sweet Corn
- ¼ Cup Black Beans
- ⅓ Cup Chopped Colored Peppers
- ½ Cup Mexican blend shreded cheese mix
- ¼ Cup Chopped Green Onion
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 1 or 2 Pack or tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Oil/Butter
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Take a pan .Heat it .
- Add oil to it.
- Add Chopped garlic and saute it on low/medium flame.
- Add corn and black beans to it .Stir it on low/medium flame.
- Add chopped peppers and taco seasoning to it .Mix it by stirring .
- Mix cooked couscous to it. Add chopped cilantro and chopped green onion to it .
- Saute it for another minute and remove it in a plate.
- Preheat the oven on 375 F.
- Cut the peppers in half and clean it nicely.
- Brush peppers with oil .
- Stuff the peppers properly with the prepared couscous vegetable mix .
- Top it with shredded Cheese .Drizzle some oil on the peppers.
- Take a baking pan .Add ¼ cup of warm water to it .
- Arrange the peppers tightly so that they do not fall.
- Cover the Pan with tin foil.
- Bake it for 45 minutes covered with tin foil.
- Remove foil after 45 minutes and broil it till the cheese starts melting and it looks light brown.
- Remove it and serve .