This potato and green beans stir fry is an easy and delicious homemade curry. Vegan and gluten-free, this recipe uses very few spices and takes little time. In addition, it pairs well with any bread or grain.
Growing up, we used to have this potato and beans stir fry quite a few times. It was a speciality of my parents. I have never tasted anything like that. The flavour profile was so good that we loved it even we were kids.
Furthermore, these green beans and potato curry always makes me nostalgic as I always go back down memory lanes. Puffed whole wheat rotis with lots of ghee and green beans potato curry were really delicious.
It was crispy and crunchy from the outside and soft and creamy on the inside. You will not believe the flavour profile until you taste it. Sometimes, simple ingredients give the ultimate flavour.
What Ingredients are Used in Making This?
Potato- Any potato will work here, but you have to peel them and cut them into medium /small size cubes.
Green Beans- Fresh green beans are preferable, however, frozen will also work. They may feel a little soft and not have the desired texture though.
Onion- I prefer to use red onions because of their texture.
Red Chili Powder
Grated Ginger and Garlic
What Can You Serve with Potato and Green Beans Stir Fry?
This potato and green beans stir fry is a wonderful combination of carbs and vitamins. It's just a perfect side dish full of flavours. You can have this as it is. In addition, you can have it with roti or any type of grain. This will also taste great with a bowl of salad.
You May Want To Check Out These Recipes-
How to Make Potato and Green Beans Stir Fry-
First, wash and peel the potatoes. Then, wash green beans. Chop the potato into small cubes. Chop green beans into one-inch slices, slice the onion and slit the green chilli.
Take a wok or pan. I prefer a wok because I get a wonderful texture in it. Add oil and when it's hot, add cumin seeds and green chili to it. Let them crackle.
Then, add sliced onion to it. After that, saute them till they look pink or transparent.
Add ginger-garlic paste and cook till the raw smell is gone. It will take one minute. Add potatoes to it. Add turmeric powder and salt to it. Cook the potato for 3-4 minutes on low flame while covered.
Add green beans when the potatoes are half cooked. Cover the pan with a lid and cook it for 2-3 minutes. Remember your time can vary a little depending on your potatoes. Some people like their beans crunchy, some soft.
It will take you another one minute. Add coriander powder and red chilli powder to it. Then, cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes on low/medium flame. Sprinkle some lemon/lime juice and serve.
It's easy and you can keep the texture according to your taste.
Potato and Green Beans Stir Fry
- 3 Cups Chopped Green beans into one inch piece
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Medium/small Sliced onion
- 2 Green Chilies(Optional)
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Oil of your choice(You can reduce the quantity ,if you want)
- Salt ,according to the taste
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder(optional)
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Wash and peel the potatoes .Chop them into small /medium cubes.
- Chop green beans after washing them properly .
- Slice onions and slit the green chilies.
- Take a pan /Wok .Heat it .Add oil to it .
- When oil is hot add cumin seeds and green chili to it .Let them crackle .It will take 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onion and saute till it it looks transparent .That will take around 1 minute .Add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell is gone .That will take around 1 minute.
- Add potatoes ,turmeric powder and salt to it .Stir it once and cover with a lid .Keep the flame to low.
- Cook it covered for 4-5 minute or till its half cooked add green beans to it .
- Saute it once and cook it covered for another 3-4 minute or till potato and beans are cooked.
- Add coriander powder ,red chili powder to it .Mix it properly .
- Cook it uncovered on the medium flame for 1-2 minute .Do not let it stick to the bottom.
- Sprinkle some lemon/lime juice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy .
- Note -Depending on your taste you can keep the texture of beans and potato .