One of the most popular and traditional North Indian dishes is Red Kidney Bean curry and it always reminds me of home and meals cooked by mothers. Paired with white basmati rice this meal is comforting, filling, nutritious, vegan and gluten free.
How to cook Rajma Masala in Instant Pot ?
We can cook Rajma by soaking it overnight or for 6-8 hours but you can also make this dish without soaking it. Both ways work just fine and the only difference is the time, when we cook Rajma /Red Kidney Beans without soaking then it takes little more time, although taste and creaminess remains the same.
You can use Canned Beans as well for cooking Rajma Masala. My suggestion is to always wash the canned beans in running tap water, since they contain a lot of salt and using them without washing them will ruin the taste.
Instant Pot Rajma Masala
- 1 Cup Rajma(Red Kidney Beans)
- 1 Cup Tomato Puree(If using crushed fresh tomato ,you will need 2-3 medium tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter/Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Green Chili(Make a slit)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1.5 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1.5 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp Dry Mango Powder/Amchoor Powder
- Salt according to the taste
- 1 Tbsp Chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak dry kidney Beans overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Turn the instant pot on. Turn the Saute mode on.
- When display shows hot add ghee/oil to it.
- Add Cumin seeds and bay leaf to it .Add finely chopped onions to it once the cumin seeds starts to sizzle.
- Add green chillies ,and ginger garlic paste to it . Saute for 3-4 minute till the raw smell is gone and onions are softened.
- Add coriander powder ,turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder to it .Saute for 1 minute.
- Mix tomato puree and stir it nicely for 1-2 minute.
- Add kidney beans to it . Add dry mango powder ,garam masala powder and salt according to your taste.
- Add 2-3 cups of water to this kidney beans mixture. Stir it nicely .
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, alternatively you can switch the bean /chili mode on .This will automatically cook your beans for 30 minutes.
- After cooking time is done wait for pressure to release naturally .Remove the lid once pressure is gone . Taste the curry and if salt is less add some .
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve it with white rice /Quinoa /Couscous/Bread .