Paneer Butter Masala is one the most popular Indian recipes of all time. Tomato-based, this paneer curry is creamy, rich, and delightful.
Butter Masala Sauce /Makhani Sauce.
- 3 Cups Pureed fresh tomato(if using canned ones use half of the prescribed quantity.
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek seeds(Optional )if you are just learning to cook and not confident enough to handle it ,don't use fenugreek seeds.
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1.5 Tbsp Kasoori methi
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 3 Tbsp Ghee or Butter
- ⅓ Cup Heavy cream
- 2 Tsp Honey
- Salt according to taste.
- Heat butter /ghee.
- Add cinnamon,cardamom and fenugreek seeds.(Don't let fenugreek seeds change their color to brown , otherwise that will spoil the taste of gravy).
- Once they start crackling up add ginger garlic paste and fry it till the raw smell is gone.
- Add chili powder,salt and tomato puree /paste to it .
- Fry it for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water, if you are using paste you can always mix it with water and use as puree.
- If using fresh tomato puree then add only one and half cups of water.
- Add Kasoori methi to it .
- Simmer the sauce till it looks reduced and the butter /ghee separates .
- Add cream and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- You can keep the consistency of the sauce according to your liking .
- Quantity of cream can be adjusted to your own taste .
- Check the seasoning and adjust the salt if needed.
- Add honey to balance out the flavour .
- If you don't like to use honey you can use brown sugar but reduce the quantity since it can make your gravy too sweet.
- At this stage you can switch of the flame .
Paneer Butter Masala
- 2 Cups Paneer cubed
- 1 Tbsp Cashew paste (soak them and grind it into a paste.)
- 1 Tbsp Kasoori methi
- 2 Cups Makhani sauce(which we have prepared earlier)
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Cream(optional)
- ½ Cup Water
- Keep Paneer Pieces in salted warm water for 15 minutes.This step is mainly for store bought Paneer . If you have home made Paneer you don't need to do this .
- In a pan add makhani sauce and warm water and let it simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add Paneer cubes ,kasoori methi ,and heavy cream (optional)and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Taste it and adjust the seasoning . If you want your curry more on sweeter side add 0ne tsp of honey to it .
- Add cashew paste . Simmer it for 4-5 minutes on very slow flame .
- Check the consistency if its too thick then add little bit of water .
- Switch off the flame .
- Serve with rice or roti .