I am a big fan of the Instant Pot and I believe that in the last many years, it is one of the most revolutionary kitchen appliances for the average home cook. So most of the time, my experiments in the kitchen involve the Instant Pot version of different Indian traditional recipes and this experiment is one of those.
When we talk about traditional Indian dishes, it is impossible to not discuss Dal Makhani. It is one of the most admired dishes all over the world. What I have understood is that most individuals shy away from making this dish in their day to day life and prefer to make it as a part of their special menu. Traditionally, it involves lot of time and patience, and of course, in modern times we lack both.
So for easing the process and making this dish a part of our normal routine, we definitely needed help of our Instant Pot. I have a wonderful recipe from ITC which we have been using for years. It’s foolproof and really easy to make. We got ahold of this recipe years back from a chef at one of the most famous hotels in India. We had stayed there for quite a long time and developed a personal rapport with the chefs and all the staffs. This recipe is so simple and short that you won’t believe it.
Here is a question that I am asked a lot about Dal Makhani-
Does Dal Makhani have Onions?
No, it does not. Traditionally, we make it without onions and Kasoori Methi.
- Instant Pot
- 1 Cup Black Urad Dal(Black Gram/Black Lentil)
- 1 Can 8 oz Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 6 Cups Water (to boil lentils)
- 1.5 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil/Desi Ghee
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Butter(Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Cream (option)
- Here I sharing a recipe which does not require you to soak Black lentils.
- Wash and clean the lentils at least 4-5 times.
- Take a Instant pot and Presure cook the lentil for 30 minutes. Yes it will take this much time to get the right texture ,because lentil is not pre soaked.
- Switch it off after 30 minutes.Let it release the pressure naturally .
- Remove it in a bowl and keep it on the counter.
- Clean the instant pot insert (steel pot)
- Switch on the saute mode on.
- When it shows hot add desi ghee/Canola oil to it .
- Add ginger garlic paste when oil is hot .Saute it for 1 minute,till the raw smell is gone .
- Add tomato puree and red chilli powder to it .
- Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add boiled black lentils with all the water to it .
- Add salt .Let it boil for 7-8 minutes.
- Mean while use your spatula to mix it so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Taste the salt if you need to add it add it according to your taste.
- By this time the thickness is good enough to serve but if you want more thick dal then you need to boil it a little more like 3-4 minute.
- If you want to add butter and cream add it now and serve it with roti or naan.
IF YOU HAVE PRE SOAKED THE LENTIL OVER NIGHT YOU JUST HAVE TO BOIL IT FOR 10 MINUTES.OR YOU CAN MAKE IT DIRECTLY WITHOUT BOILING AND AFTER ADDING THE DAL ADD 5-6 CUPS OF WATER AND PRESSURE COOK FOR 20 MINUTES.
- Most of the times if I have time I slow cook the dal in slow cooker mode for 2-3 hours and it tastes amazing .