Who doesn’t like the ultimate comfort food Kadhi Pakoda? Growing up, we had Bihari Kadhi Bari at home and with hot rice, and that was pure bliss. Like always, my mom ensured to put her touch on the Kadhi-Bari and made it with soaked chana dal paste mixed with onion. It was more like a crispy onion pakoda and she made the usual Bihari Kadhi which is a little different from Punjabi Kadhi. I would say it was really simple and clean flavoured Kadhi and it was not very spicy.
After I got married and tasted my M.I.l ‘s kadhi which she called as Bari ka Jhol; I loved it. It was really different from what I had before. It was super spicy and thick, like the consistency of any thick, gravy wali Sabji.
Let me tell you a story- the first time she told me that we need to make dal with Kadhi-Chawal, I was extremely puzzled. Who eats dal with kadhi? At my home we were a kadhi -chawal eating type. But then I understood the logic; since the gravy was thick, they had dal and treated kadhi-bari as a sabji.
Later on, when I started to make this in my own kitchen, I blended both the styles in my Kadhi-Bari and adopted what I liked from both of their recipes. So here I am, sharing the recipe of my improvised version of Kadhi /Bari /Pakoda. It has everything included in one recipe, from Bihari to Punjabi. I have given my own twist to an ultimate comfort dish .
Here is the step by step recipe;
Kadhi Bari/Kadhi Pakoda
- 1 Cup Chana dal(soaked for 2-3 hours and made into a not so smooth paste . make it without water . it should have the required texture.
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red chili powder
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 1 Medium Onion chopped finely.
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro leaves chopped
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste.
- For making Kadhi
- 1 Cup Sour Curd/Greek yogurt
- 3 Cups Water
- 4 Tbsp Besan /Chick pea flour
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Red chili powder
- 1 Tsp Dhaniya powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 2 Dry red chili(optional)
- 2 Tbsp Mustard oil
- For Tadka /Tempering
- 2 Tbsp Desi Ghee
- 2 Dry red chili
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro leaves (chopped)
- Oil for deep frying the Pakoda/Bari
- Making of Bari /Pakoda
- In a large mixing bowl mix chana dal paste ,red chili powder,salt ,chopped onion ,green chili,cilantro ,asafoetida together .Mix this quite well .
- Heat oil in a wok .
- Make small pakoda or Bari in your desired shape . I made a muthiya kind of shape which looks really flattering when dipped in a kadhi.
- After frying is done keep all the pakoda /Bari in plate and keep it aside.
- Making of Kadhi
- Take a large mixing bowl and add curd ,Besan and water . Mix it nicely .
- Add turmeric powder ,coriander powder ,garam masala,red chili powder to it .
- Whisk it nicely and make sure that it should not have any lumps.
- Take a deep pan /vessel.
- Add Mustard oil .
- When its hot enough add cumin seeds,asafoetida ,red chilies,and let it sizzle .
- Pour yogurt and water mixture to this and let it boil .
- Whisk it continously and don't add the salt till it starts boiling properly otherwise it will curdle and your effort will be wasted.
- After Kadhi has boiled for 2 -3 minutes,add pakode to it.
- Let it boil for 7-8 minute or till it reaches your desired consistency . Now add salt .
- Taste it and adjust the seasoning and consistency .
- If its thick for your liking add more water and if thin then let it boil for 2-3 minute.
- Heat Ghee in a skillet.
- Add dry chilies ,Cumin seeds,Kashmiri chili powder to it .
- When they start crackling immediately pour it over the Kadhi .
- Mix it . Garnish with cilantro leaves .
- Serve it hot with white rice .