No need for Thai take out this weekend- make this easy, delicious, and flavourful Thai veg curry at home. Today I am going to share a recipe which is quite easy and flexible. I have made my yellow curry paste from scratch and used it in this curry. If you have this curry paste on hand, the making of this curry is a breeze on busy days.
Thai Yellow Curry is very close to Indian curries in taste because it uses lots of Indian spices in it. I find this to be a very warm and comforting meal at any time of the day.
Does Thai Yellow Curry Look Yellow in Colour?
No, it’s absolutely not necessary, though it may look yellow. If it looks yellow, then that’s wonderful, but if not, don’t use more than the required amount of turmeric in the curry. Turmeric has a very strong taste and an excess of it can make your curry taste bitter.
What Type of Vegetables Do We Need for Thai Yellow Curry?
You can use any vegetable of your choice but the vegetables we use mostly in making Indian curries go well with this curry. A few examples are cauliflower, carrots, peas, colored peppers, and potato.
How to Make Thai Yellow Curry Paste?
The making of Thai Yellow Curry is quite easy and it takes just 30 minutes of your time. Most of the ingredients are easily available or easily replaceable.
Thai Yellow Curry Paste
- 2 Tbsp shallots
- 10-12 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Tbsp Galangal/Ginger
- 10-12 Dry Red Chillies(Remove all the seeds)
- 1 Tbsp Lemongrass stalk (finely sliced)you can use lemongrass paste easily avilable in most of the big stores.
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Curry powder for aroma (I used garam masala)
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Soak all the deseeded red chillies into hot water for 30 minutes.
- Grind everything together to make a fine paste.
- Your thai yellow curry paste is ready to cook.Store it n single use containers for future use and keep this in freezer.
Veg Thai Yellow Curry
- 1 Cup Cauliflower Florets(medium size)
- 1/2 Cup Carrot
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1 Cup Mixed Peppers+Green Beans
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic + Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Potato( Big Cubes) Optional.
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1.5 Cans Coconut milk.
- 1 Tbsp Oil of your choice. I used Avocado Oil.
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 4 Piece Lime
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Thai Red Chilli
2 Tbsp of Thai Yellow Curry Paste.(For making the Curry)
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Boil potatoes ,Cauliflower,Carrot ,and Green beans till they are fork tender (not much ,otherwise they will break)
- Drain all the water and keep them aside.
- Take a pan and add one tbsp of oil to it.Heat it .
- Add onion ,garlic and ginger to it .Saute it on medium flame ,till they look translucent.
- Add Potatoes to it and saute for 1-2 minute.
- Add Carrot ,Green Beans and Cauliflower to it .Saute for 2 minutes and add salt to it .
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook for another one minute.
- Add 2 Tbsp of thai yellow Curry paste to it .Do not add more then that before tasting .If you don’t eat much spicy food ,add just one tbsp.You can always add this paste in the last but after adding its difficult to go back.
- Saute it on medium flame for 1 minute .
- Add peppers and peas to it .Mix it .
- Now is the time to add coconut milk . If you want more /less ,you can do that . There is no rule here.
- Stir this coconut curry nicely and add tamarind paste to it . You can also increase or decrease the quantity according to your choice.
- Add 1 cup of warm water to it .
- Let it simmer over medium flame till curry thickens as per your liking.
- Goes well with any type of plain rice and bread.
- Garnish with cilantro ,lime and red chillies and enjoy.