Sharing is caring!!
Veg Burmese Khao Suey is a Burmese coconut-based noodle soup. It's hearty, comforting, and super delicious. Unique flavors of several toppings make this dish perfect to showcase Asian flavors. Vegan and gluten-free. This Veg Burmese Khao Suey Soup is just out of this world.
As a family, we love ordering Veg Burmese Khao Suey in Asian Restaurants whenever we visit India. They are pretty popular back home. What we like the most is that you can add all the toppings according to your taste and choice. Spice levels can also be increased or decreased.
I love aromatic broth or soup. It's just so soothing and fresh that it always makes me happy.
There are several components and toppings of the Khao - Suey. Using all the detail is the most fun. You can prepare everything in advance and assemble it whenever you need to.
It consists of mainly three components.
For the Curry Paste,
Grind ginger, garlic, lemongrass, cilantro leaves, stems, and turmeric powder. With a little bit of salt, this makes an excellent aromatic curry paste.
How to Make Coconut Curry / Broth?
First, chop all the vegetables into your desired shape and size.
Saute all the vegetables with little oil until they look cooked and golden.
Heat the Pan again with a little bit of oil. Saute the Spice paste on medium-low flame till it releases oil.
Add thick coconut milk to the paste. And cook. It is naturally quite thick and creamy in texture.
Add water to make this soup-like consistency.
Add all the sauteed /cooked vegetables when the curry starts boiling.
Make all the toppings and assemble them to eat.
What are the toppings?
Crispy fried garlic, fried brown onion, peanuts, red pepper flakes, green onion, lime, and some cilantro for garnish.
What type of noodles to use?
Use whatever is on your hand. I also use lo mein noodles, rice noodles, and sometimes ramen.
You may want to check my other popular Asian recipes,
Vegan Thai Drunken Noodles(Pad Kee Mao)
Veg Burmese Khao Suey
For the Curry Paste
- 1 Cup Cilantro leaf and stalk
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Inch Ginger Stalk
- 1 Small Green Chili Pepper
- 1 Stalk /Tbsp Chopped fresh Lemongrass/Storebought Paste
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Oil of your choice
- ¼ Cup Baby Corn
- ¼ Cup Carrot
- ¼ Cup Green Beans
- ¼ Cup Red Pepper
- ¼ Cup Green Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Can Coconut Milk
- 2 Small Dry Red Chili
- 5 Small Curry Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tsp Palm Jaggery /Brown Sugar
- 1 Small Sliced fried brown onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic ,chopped and fried
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Cup Roasted Peanuts
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 4 Wedges Lemon
- 8 OZ Thin Noodles
Add water for a thin consistency of broth.
- Grind everything written under curry paste ,and make a fine paste.
- Cook noodles according to the package instruction.
- Prepare all the toppings.
- Take a pan and heat it with one tbsp of oil.
- Add red chili and curry leaves. Let them Crackle.
- Add curry paste and saute till it releases the oil.
- Add coconut milk ,salt and jaggery to the pan.
- Let it cook till it thickens to your liking.
- Taste and add the lime juice . If needed ½ cup of water to thin out the broth.
- Take a serving bowl.
- Place some noodle and pour some broth on top of the noodles.
- Garnish with some toppings and serve hot .
Leave a Reply