The fall season- fall produce, beautiful colors on trees, chilly mornings, and cozy nights.
This all calls for comfort food.
If you are a comfort food lover like me, then this recipe is definitely for you. Packed with the flavor of Thai red curry paste and coconut milk, this lentil curry is creamy and addictive. The sweetness and soft texture of butternut squash compliments the crunch and freshness of beans. The best part is that you can make this in under 30 minutes in the Instant pot.
What Type of Lentils Can You Add in a Butternut Squash Curry?
I prefer using Indian Brown Lentils/ Sabut Masoor Dal for this recipe. Brown lentils hold their shape while cooking. Hence, they are always a wonderful choice for curried lentil dishes.
How Do You Make Butternut Squash Lentil Curry?
You make this curry in two steps. In the first step, sauté the cubed butternut squash in a pan to give them a nice color. This also cooks them till they are done while making sure they are still firm.
This process makes sure that the butternut squash has a nice caramelized skin. Many people prefer to cook butternut squash without this step, however, I like to do it every time.
You can bake them too, but I feel as though pan-frying is really quick. I just add a few seasoning spices and sauté them in avocado oil for a couple of minutes.
The Second Step is to make the lentil curry, which I make in the Instant Pot. First, I wash and soak the brown lentil for 30 minutes. Then, in a hot Instant pot, I sauté onions and garlic properly.
After that, add Thai red curry paste and green beans and stir them for a few minutes. Then, I add coconut milk and lentils to it. Add salt and a little water. I cook them on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
Lastly, I add the sautéed/baked butternut squash to the lentil curry and keep it cooking for around 2-3 minutes. It's ready to serve!
What Can You Serve With the Butternut Squash Lentil Curry?
It goes well with white rice and any bread. A complete meal in itself, this curry can be eaten as soup. It's filling, wholesome, and nourishing.
Can You Store It in the Refrigerator?
Yes, you can store it in a refrigerator for up to two days. Since we have used coconut milk in the curry, it can't be stored for a long time. Before you want to eat, just reheat it in the microwave.
If it looks a little too thick, add just a small amount of water to it. Then, heat it again and serve.
You May Want to Check These Lentil Recipes.
Dal Palak/Lentil Soup with spinach
Instant Pot Moong Dal with Bottle Gourd/Zucchini
Instant Pot Dal Makhani (Healthy Version of Traditional Dal Makhani)
Bengali Cholar/Chana Dal/Split Chickpea Lentil
Butternut Squash Lentil Curry
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash(cut into cubes)
- 1 Cup Brown Lentil (Soaked for 30 minutes)
- 1 Medium Onion ,chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic ,Minced
- 1.5 Tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- ⅓ Cups Chopped Green String Beans
- Salt ,According to the taste
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Lemon /Lime wedges (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- Wash the lentils properly and soak it for 30 minutes in room temperature water for 30 minutes.
- Cut medium size cubes of butternut Squash.
- Chop onion and keep everything ready.
- Switch on the saute button of instant pot .When its hot enough add onion and garlic. Stir for 1 minute .
- Add Red Curry Paste and stir it for for 30 seconds.
- Add green beans to it and saute it for 30 seconds again.
- Add lentils to it and stir it for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk to the lentils and mix it well .Add water and salt to it .
- Stir everything together once and turn the lid on .
- Cancel the saute button on Instant Pot and turn the pressure cook button on for 10 minutes. Turn the seal vent on lock position.
- After 10 minutes let it cool naturally .
- Mean while when lentil in the Instant pot ,take a pan .Add 1 tbsp of oil to it .Add butternut squash ,little salt ,freshly ground black pepper ,and garlic powder to butter nut squash.
- Saute it on medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Cover it with a lid and cook on slow flame till it looks done but still holds the shape /firm.
- Switch off the flame. Remove it in a plate.
- Remove the lid of Instant Pot and stir the lentil curry once .Add butternut squash to it .Stir it once more .If its thick for your liking add ½ cup of water ,.Let it cook on saute mode for 1 minute or till they look mixed with lentil curry.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with lemon, fresh cilantro and serve.
I don’t have an InstaPot. How can I adjust this recipe?
Brown Lentils take around 20-25 on the stove .Use the same recipe for butternut squash .Soak brown lentil for 30 minutes as recipe says andfollow the same process on gas stove .Cook it covered for 20 -25 minuteson medium /low flame ,so that it doesn't burn .if its not cooked but water content is less then add some water .You need to check them often otherwise they may burn .
Cooking lentil on gas stove without pressure cooker is tricky and needs attention,still quite possible.
Please let me know if you have any other question.
I made this tonight in a pot on the stove, and it was AMAZING. Thank you Smita! I love your recipes!
Thank you so much for your kind words.It always motivates me to create better content .