Home-made, super easy, and extremely delicious, this spicy red chili sauce is one of the most versatile sauces ever. Cooking any Asian or Indo-Chinese dish is super easy when we have homemade Sichuan/Schezwan sauce in hand. In addition, this sauce is vegan.
If you are a lover of Indo-Chinese or any Asian cuisine, you must be familiar with the name Sichuan sauce. Sichuan fried rice or Sichuan noodles are a few of the dishes which make one drool. Homemade Sichuan/Schezwan sauce is always handy for them.
This Homemade Sichuan /Schezwan sauce is spicy (extremely spicy ), tangy, garlicky and so, so flavorful. If you have tried the store-bought ones, let me tell you one thing, homemade ones are a ton better than those jars.
They have more flavor, you have more control over the spice level and on top of that you are using top-quality ingredients. After reading how easy it is, I'm sure you will try this very soon.
What is Schezwan Sauce?
Homemade Sichuan /Schezwan sauce is spicy red chili sauce. The level of spice depends on the type of used chilies. If you use hot dry red chili, it will be super hot and extremely spicy. Mild Kashmiri chili ones will make it less spicy. Lots of garlic and ginger are used in making this sauce. The main flavors come from Schezwan peppercorns. They have a pungent kind of spicy flavor and they provide a certain unique taste. Vinegar, salt, and sugar give this sauce a depth of flavor. This flavorful homemade Sichuan /Schezwan Sauce is just amazing.
What Ingredients Are Needed to Make This Spicy Schezwan Sauce?
Dry Kashmiri Red Chili
Dry Red Chili
You May Also Want to Check Out These Indo-Chinese Recipes-
How to Use Schezwan Sauce?
You can use this sauce in making Schezwan Noodles.
Schezwan Chili Chicken is also made with this.
Any Manchurian dish will be easy to make with this.
Paneer chili is the most popular dish made from this.
You can make stir-fries using this Szechuan sauce.
You can make potato wedges using them.
Use this in anything or everything. This is just amazing to have and enhances any dish's flavor profile.
Homemade Sichuan/ Schezwan Sauce
- 15 Dry Kashmii Red chili
- 5-6 Dry Red Chili
- 15 Cloves Garlic
- ¼ Cup Ginger ,chopped
- 1 Tsp Schezwan Pepper Corns(crushed)
- 2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Shallots
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Salt(you can increase the quantity ,according to your taste)
- 1 Cup Oil of your choice
- Soak dried red chilies in hot water for 20 minutes.If you want to remove seeds to reduce the spice level ,you can do that .
- Make a smooth paste of soaked chilies ,ginger and garlic .Remove it in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan or a wok. Add crushed Schezwan peppers. Add fine chopped shallots and saute till they look nice and light brown . Saute it for 30 seconds.
- Add chili ,garlic and ginger paste to the pan. Add tomato ketchup at this time . Cook it till the oil seperates.
- Add salt , sugar ,vinegar and soy sauce to the pan .
- Mix it properly and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Taste it now You may want to add some salt at this stage .(depending on your taste).
- Your Schezwan sauce or chutney is ready. You can store it in an air- tight container for up to one month.
- Always use the clean dry container for storage and never use a damp spoon for scooping the sauce.
- Enjoy this versatile chutney/sauce in your food.