Easy and vegan whole wheat flatbread with basil pesto and sweet cherry tomatoes. This delicious Vegan Flat Bread is perfect for weeknight dinners or lazy weekend brunches. Aromatic and fresh homemade basil pesto gives it a lovely richness, whereas homegrown organic cherry tomatoes provide a much-desired freshness.
My younger one just loves anything Italian. Give her some bread with extra virgin olive oil and she will be more than happy to have it. So today when both of us were harvesting cherry tomatoes from our kitchen garden, vegan flatbread jumped into the menu for tonight.
Additionally, this year we have started to grow vegetables in our kitchen garden and the yield is just awesome. Basil, tomatoes, peppers, chilies, cucumber, eggplant, and okra are just a few of them. However, I am most excited about my watermelons and pumpkin. I love those plants so much and am eagerly waiting for the harvest. I think I'll have to wait a few more weeks for that.
Coming back to dinner. I made wonderful homemade basil pesto with my fresh basil leaves. In addition, I love to make pesto in my mortar and pestle. It's fun, simple and really brings out the best flavor of the ingredients.
What is Flat Bread?
Flatbread is similar to pizza, but unlike pizza, you can make it without yeast. You can eat with or without topping and bake or cook on the griddle. It's no fuss, simple, and super easy.
You May Also Want To Check Out These Other Baked Recipes-
What Ingredients are Used in Making This Vegan Flat Bread?
I have used whole wheat flour, but let me tell you if you are looking for a restaurant-like texture you need to use all-purpose flour or a mix of both the flours. Use good quality yeast and olive oil. Proof the dough for one hour and see how the delicious bites make you crave more.
Toppings are optional, you can use anything or nothing. Many people use cheese for their flatbread. I have not used it but you certainly can. Good quality olive oil makes all the difference in the taste, that's what I believe.
I have taken inspiration from Sally's baking addiction blog. She has wonderful recipes to bake. Do check out guys.
Vegan Flat Bread
- 1 Tsp Active Dry Yeast/Instant Yeast
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- ¾ Cups Warm Water
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour/Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Basil Pesto
- 12-14 Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Tsp Kosher Salt
- A little extra flour for dusting
- Take a bowl. Add warm water, sugar, and yeast. Keep it in a warm place.
- If you are using a stand mixture, use it for proofing the yeast. Yeast will take no longer than 5 to 10 minutes for blooming.
- Add flour, salt, and olive oil. Make a soft and supple dough.
- Proof it in a warm place. I have used an Instant pot for proofing.
- Pre heat the oven to 475 F.
- Roll one big flat bread or 2 medium flat breads. I have made one.
- Use a fork for pricking the rolled dough.
- Spread the basil pesto on top.
- Arrange cherry tomatoes on top.
- Bake it at 475 F for 14-15 minutes or till you achieve your desired texture.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve with some salad or pasta, or just like that.