Sultani Dal / Awadhi Sultani Dal is a dal from the royal kitchens of Nawabs of Awadh. It's rich, creamy, aromatic and has depths of flavor. Easy to make, this dal goes well with any type of Indian bread or rice.
For a long time, I've wanted to make this dal. It is quite simple and having read that it was the most loved dal of the Nawabs of Awadh, making this was always on my agenda.
Who doesn't love dal? My husband and I both love to try different lentil recipes. Lentils are the most convenient protein source for vegetarians. I try to incorporate at least 4 types of lentils every week. In addition, I love the fact my kids love it so much.
This dal recipe is an authentic dal recipe from the Mughal Era. Royal cooks were always on the look out to bring more richness and grandeur to the food they made. They always tried to bring something unique to normal dishes. This lentil dish truly shows how the kitchens of nawabs treated this simple lentil with the utmost respect and delicacy.
What Ingredients are Needed for Sultani Dal?
- Toor Dal/Pigeon Peas/Yellow Lentils
- Ghee/clarified butter
- Cumin Seeds
- Green Chilli
- Bay Leaf
- Cinnamon Stick
- Turmeric Powder
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves
How to Make Sultani Dal-
- Firstly, in an instant pot or pressure cooker, you need to cook dal.
- Cook dal with ginger, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, turmeric, and salt.
- Then, when the dal is cooked, remove the whole bay leaves and cinnamon.
- After that, whisk the dal into a smooth puree.
- Mix milk, yoghurt, and cream together.
- Then, add and mix this mixture into the dal /lentil.
- Mix little bit of water to thin it .
- Let it cook for some time.
- After that, make a tempering of ghee, cumin seeds, and green chilli.
- Mix it into the cooked dal. Stir it once.
- Taste it and when you want to eat, enjoy it with some rice and roti .
- It will be awesome as a bowl of lentil soup.
- Lastly, enjoy!!
What Can You Serve With Sultani Dal?
You May Want to Check Out These Other Dal Recipes As Well-
Sultani Dal/Awadhi Sultani Dal
- 1 Cup Toor Dal/Pigeon peas/Yellow Lentils
- 2.5 Cup Water
- ½ Tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chilli Chopped
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp ghee /Clarified Butter
- ½ Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp Yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh Green Cilantro
- Wash lentil nicely and cook lentil with 2.5 cups of water , turmeric powder ,salt ,ginger and garlic .
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minute .Let the steam release naturally .
- Remove the lid .Whisk the dal /lentil.Make it into a smooth puree.
- MIx 1 cup of extra water into the dal and let it cook for 1 minute.
- Mix yoghurt,milk,and cream and stir it into the cooked lentil. Cook it for 3 minute .Stir it in between to prevent sticking .
- Take a small pan .Add ghee/Clarified butter to it .
- When it's hot enough add cumin seeds and green chilli to it .
- Drizzle it over the dal.
- Taste the dal .adjust the seasoning .
- Garnish with green cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti.