A spicy and tangy curry which takes you to the tropical shores of Goa with its fresh coconut flavor and beautiful bright color. This really comforting bowl of curry goes well with white rice.
What is Goan Curry?
We have been hooked on this curry since we had this curry for the first time in Goa. We had this amazing time there relaxing and also trying the different flavors of Goan cuisine. One of those dishes was Goan Prawn Curry. After we came home, I thought of creating a vegetarian version of this curry. It was a wonderful change of flavors for us, and we totally loved it.
This curry is made from a freshly roasted and grinded spice mix, as well as coconut milk. This is one of the most flavorful spice mixes which will make you drool. Furthermore, I love how easy and versatile it is. You can use any vegetable you like to give it your own touch.
Ingredients Needed for Making Goan Veg Curry-
You need dry kashmiri red chili, garlic cloves, black peppers, whole coriander seeds, tamarind paste, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, grated/flakes of coconut, as well as coconut milk. We will also need curry leaves, onions, tomatoes, ginger, oil, and salt .
What Type of Vegetables are You Using for Goan Veg Curry?
Cauliflower, carrots, green beans, peas, potatoes, and onions are a few of the vegetables which you use for making this curry. However, if you want to use just one vegetable like cauliflower you can still make this curry flavorful. The flavor profile comes from the gravy, which makes any vegetable shine.
Can You Make Goan Curry Powder in Advance?
Yes; you can make this curry powder in advance and use it for around 2 months. It will be fresh if kept in a air tight container in fridge/freezer. You can make not only Veg, but also Non -Veg types of curries with this curry paste/powder.
You May Want to Check These Curries with Coconut Milk,
Goan Veg Curry
- 1/4 Cup Potato ,chopped into big pieces.
- 1/4 Cup Green beans,chopped
- 1/4 Cup Carrot ,chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 Tbsp Green Peas
- 1 Tbsp Big Chunks of Onion.
For The Ground Masala Paste
- 6-8 Dry Red Kashmiri Red cHilli
- 1/2 Tsp Whole Black Pepper
- 4 Big Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Tamarind Paste.
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Cup Freshly grated Coconut/Frozen Coconut
- 1.5 Cans Coconut Milk
For Making the Curry
- 1+1 Tbsp Avocado oil/Oil of your choice
- 4-5 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1 Small Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 Inch Ginger root
- Salt according to the taste.
- First cut all the vegetables .
- Take a pan and boil some water in it .Boil all the vegetables except Peas.Vegetable should be par boiled and still have their crunch left .Remove them and drain them on paper towel.
- Roast all the spices written under the dry masala paste and grind it after it cools.
Process of making Goan Veg Curry
- Take a pan .Add one tbsp of oil to it .
- Heat it . Saute all the vegetables in the pan to give this a nice flavor.
- Remove them and add One tbsp of oil to it again.
- Add finely chopped onion to it .Saute it over medium /low flame till it looks pink and transparent.
- Add grated ginger and chopped tomato to it .Make a soft mushy curry base out of it.Add curry leaves to it .Add little bit of salt and saute the onion tomato paste till it releases oil.That will take around 6-7 minute .
- Now add the ground masala paste and stir it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables in it .Mix it properly and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- If you want your curry to be little thick ,then your curry is ready however if you want thin curry add 1 cup of warm water to it .Let it cook for another minute.Taste the salt ,adjust it if needed.
- Serve it hot with ghee laden white rice .