Our journey with Thai Green Curry actually began in Minneapolis, which was our home for quite a few years. Though before that, we had a few short encounters with Thai Curry and the reaction was always mixed. Sometimes it was good, and sometimes, it was okay-ish.
We fell in love with this Thai restaurant where we ended up on accident. We were totally in love with the flavour and freshness of the food there and I totally believe that our hatred for bottled curry paste developed there.
It's definitely true that when you develop a taste for fresh herbs and spices in your food, you get addicted to it and that was the case with us. I don't know how many times we went to that restaurant and ordered the same thing.
The Thai Green Curry was lip-smacking delicious and undoubtedly the best Thai Green Curry we have ever tasted. The only thing close was a restaurant in Malaysia that also had great Thai Green Curry.
The problem started when we moved from Minneapolis. We were craving that food and it was not available, so that was the start of our homemade sauce saga.
My husband researched, and we cooked, tasted, and tried several recipes, and after quite some time, we finally developed a recipe for a Thai Green Curry that had an amazing taste and was totally vegetarian.
It is one of the most loved recipes at my house and we love to eat this anytime. It's nostalgic and comforting. At the same time, it gives us confidence to create something that is our family recipe.
So here, I am going to share one of our most treasured recipes that is just amazing.
Thai Green Curry Recipe
This is a vegetarian adaptation of the Thai Green Curry Paste
Ingredients for Green Curry Paste
15- 20 Thai green chilies
2 Tbsp Shallots
12-15 Garlic pods
15 Thai Basil leaves
2.5 Tbsp Cilantro Roots
1 Tbsp Galangal finely chopped
3-4 Kaffir Lime leaves (You can use 1 Tsp of Lemon zest as a substitute
2 tsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Tbsp Lemongrass Stalk- finely sliced
2 Tsp White pepper corns.
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Dark Soy sauce
Ingredients for Green Curry
2 Cans Coconut Milk
¼ Cup Carrot
¼ Cup Beans
¼ Cup Colored Peppers
¼ Cup Thai Eggplants
¼ Cup Snow Peas
¼ Cup Green peas
2-3 Baby Bok Choy
Optional Tofu, yam , Mushroom and any other vegetables of your choice
Instructions for Thai Green Curry Paste
- Roast cumin , coriander and peppercorn
- Hand pound peppercorns, cumin and coriander seeds in mortal and pestle (You can as well use a grinder)
- Now pound lemongrass, shallots, garlic, galangal, lime leaves and coriander stalks to a fine paste
- Add Thai green chilies and pound to a fine paste
- Now add the dry spice mix from step 2
- Add soya sauce
- Mix well
- Your Thai Green curry paste is ready
Instructions for Thai Green Curry
- In a pan, add the Coconut milk on medium heat and reduce it to ¾th
- In parallel blench your vegetables in warm water and immediately transfer it to a cold bath
- Add the Green curry paste
- Stir for 3-4 minutes
- Now add your blanched vegetables
- Give it a quick boil
- Your succulent and fragrant curry is ready
- Serve it with white rice, jasmine rice or brown rice