This dish is originally from the city of Jaisalmer and that's why we call it Jaisalmeri Chana Kadhi.
What is Kadhi?
Kadhi is a yoghurt based Indian curry made of gram flour, yoghurt/sour curd, and some fragrant spices.
How Do You Use Kala Chana/Black Chickpeas in the Kadhi?
Soak the black chickpeas overnight or for 8 hours and boil them till they become soft.
Jaisalmeri Chana /Kale Chane Ki Kadhi
- 1 Cup Black Chickpea /Kala chana (soaked over night)
- 1 Cup Yoghurt/Sour Curd
- 2 tbsp Gram flour/Besan
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1.5 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Kasoori methi
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil/Ghee
For Tempering /Tadka
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Red Dry Red Chilli
- Pinch Of Kasoori Methi
- Wash Soaked Black Chickpeas properly.
- Boil black chickpeas in salted water till they are soft . I have boiled them in the instant pot for 8 minutes on high pressure.
- Take a big bowl and whisk Yoghurt and gram flour together.
- Add all the spices like red chilli powder ,turmeric powder,coriander powder,garam masala powder and Kasoori methi .Do not mix salt in it otherwise your kadhi will curdle.
- Whisk this mixture and then mix water to it.It will be a thin liquid at this time.
- Take a deep pan .
- Add oil to it .
- Pour the gram flour ,yoghurt gravy slowly to this pan and let it boil on medium flame.
- Whisk it continuously till it starts to boil otherwise your kadhi will curdle. The art of making good kadhi involves lot of patience and whisking .
- When it comes to boil let it simmer on slow flame for 3-4 minute. Then only add salt .This step is really important to follow.
- Add drained Black Chickpeas to it .Let it simmer on slow flame for 2-3minute.
- If you think your kadhi is thick for your taste then add ½ cup of extra water to it and if it looks too thin then let it simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Take a tempering /Tadka Pan. Add ghee to it.
- When its hot add cumin seeds ,asafoetida ,dry red chilli ,Red chilli powder,Kasoori Methi to it.
- Do not let it burn .Pour this Mixture over the kadhi .Mix it nicely.
- Your Jaisalmeri Kadhi is ready to serve.
- Serve with rice or roti.