Sharing is caring!!!
Jaisalmeri chana Kale Chane Ki kadhi is a famous yogurt-based curry in Rajasthan. This vegetarian curry is simple, hearty, and delicious. It needs only a few essential ingredients and takes very little time.
What is Kala Chana?
Kala Chana, or black chickpeas, are a type of chickpea. It's full of protein and fiber. In Indian home cooking, kala chana is widely used. Vegetarian dishes made of black chickpeas are always delicious and quite hearty. Jaisalmeri Chana Kale Chane Ki Kadhi is a super tasty dish at any time of the day.
This dish is originally from the city of Jaisalmer, and that's why we call it Jaisalmeri Chana Kadhi.
What is Kadhi?
Kadhi is a yogurt-based Indian curry made of gram flour, yogurt/sour curd, and some fragrant spices.
How Do You Use Kala Chana/Black Chickpeas in the Kadhi?
Soak the black chickpeas overnight or for 8 hours and boil them till they become soft.
Some of my popular Curry recipes,
Jaisalmeri Chana /Kale Chane Ki Kadhi
- 1 Cup Black Chickpea /Kala chana (soaked over night)
- 1 Cup Yoghurt/Sour Curd
- 2 tbsp Gram flour/Besan
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1.5 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Kasoori methi
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil/Ghee
For Tempering /Tadka
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Red Dry Red Chilli
- Pinch Of Kasoori Methi
- Wash Soaked Black Chickpeas properly.
- Boil black chickpeas in salted water till they are soft . I have boiled them in the instant pot for 8 minutes on high pressure.
- Take a big bowl and whisk Yoghurt and gram flour together.
- Add all the spices like red chilli powder ,turmeric powder,coriander powder,garam masala powder and Kasoori methi .Do not mix salt in it otherwise your kadhi will curdle.
- Whisk this mixture and then mix water to it.It will be a thin liquid at this time.
- Take a deep pan .
- Add oil to it .
- Pour the gram flour ,yoghurt gravy slowly to this pan and let it boil on medium flame.
- Whisk it continuously till it starts to boil otherwise your kadhi will curdle. The art of making good kadhi involves lot of patience and whisking .
- When it comes to boil let it simmer on slow flame for 3-4 minute. Then only add salt .This step is really important to follow.
- Add drained Black Chickpeas to it .Let it simmer on slow flame for 2-3minute.
- If you think your kadhi is thick for your taste then add ½ cup of extra water to it and if it looks too thin then let it simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Take a tempering /Tadka Pan. Add ghee to it.
- When its hot add cumin seeds ,asafoetida ,dry red chilli ,Red chilli powder,Kasoori Methi to it.
- Do not let it burn .Pour this Mixture over the kadhi .Mix it nicely.
- Your Jaisalmeri Kadhi is ready to serve.
- Serve with rice or roti.