Shakshuka is a one-pot recipe of poached eggs in an aromatic tomato sauce. It is one of the most popular breakfast recipes in parts of Africa, and most of the Middle East. It's super delicious and full of protein.
This dish is totally delectable and perfect for any brunch party. You can prepare this in a big batch and could use the oven instead of a pan.
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka is a super popular breakfast in North Africa and the Middle East. It's made of lots of tomatoes, onion, garlic, and tons of spices. Of course, eggs are the hero of the dish.
A little bit of runny egg yolk over the delicious tomato sauce is the ultimate comfort dish for breakfast any day of the week. I love to dip my toasted bread in for that yummy bite.
What Ingredients Are Used in This Recipe?
Eggs- Good-quality organic eggs are the best for this recipe.
Tomatoes- Fresh juicy red tomatoes are the best for this recipe. I have used my home-grown tomatoes for this purpose.
Tomato Puree- Good quality tomato puree is the best.
Onion-I have used red onion, however, feel free to use any onion.
Garlic- Who doesn't love garlic? I have used 3-4 cloves of garlic to make the dish really flavorful and delish.
Fresh Chilies- Yes. I have given this dish my own twist by using fresh chilies. If you do not like spicy things, feel free not to use them.
Paprika- A little bit of paprika for the flavor.
Cumin Powder- This brings out a lovely warm taste.
Olive Oil/Avocado Oil/Butter- Traditionally, olive oil is used, but I prefer to use any oil of my choice.
Fresh Parsley/Cilantro/Basil- Traditionally, parsley is used, but this time I have used my garden fresh basil for this recipe.
Salt and Crushed Pepper- No dish is complete without the staples.
How to Cook-
Heat a pan. Add oil to it. Then, add onion, garlic, and fresh chilies to it. Saute till it looks golden. That will take around 2-3 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes at this point, and cook till they look tender and soft.
Mix all the spices and tomato puree with salt and pepper. Cook till it looks like a soft mush. That will take around 5-6 minutes. Make 4 holes in the pan and break the eggs one by one into them.
Cook the eggs covered. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the eggs. Cook till they look perfect yet a little runny. That's the beauty of shakshuka. Remove from the stove.
Sprinkle the chopped herbs on top of the dish. Serve with some toasted bread or any side of your choice. Enjoy!!!
You may want to check some of my popular recipes,
- 4 Organic Eggs
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 4 Medium Minced Garlic
- 1 Small Fresh Chili chopped(optional)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 8 Oz Tomato Puree
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- ½ Tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Chopped parsley or basil for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium size pan. Add chopped onion and garlic to it .Saute till it looks golden and transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes cook till they look soft and mushy.
- Mix all the spices and tomato puree with salt and pepper. Cook till it looks like a soft mush. That will take around 5-6 minutes.
- Make 4 holes in the pan and break the eggs one by one into them.
- Cook the eggs covered. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the eggs. Cook till they look perfect yet a little runny.
- Remove from the stove.
- Sprinkle the chopped herbs on top of the dish. Serve with some toasted bread or any side of your choice. Enjoy!!!
Leave a Reply