Sweet and spicy tofu with crunchy cashew and crispy broccoli. This takeout-style cashew tofu is the perfect recipe for people who love to eat crispy tofu with crunchy cashew and broccoli in a well-balanced sweet and spicy sauce.
This vegan dish has lots of protein and goes well with a grain of your choice.
This Tofu stir fry with cashew and broccoli combined with the spicy sweet sauce is the perfect meal on any day of the week.
Why will you love this dish?
This cashew tofu is my take on the vegan version of cashew chicken.
I have always wanted to make that cashew tofu dish with a perfect balance of texture and taste.
This spicy sweet sauce which I have made by combining a few of the Asian sauces is just delicious.
Since I have used toasted sesame oil in the sauce mix it has a lovely aroma as well.
I just love the flavor of sesame oil. It is quite strong but if you use a proper amount it won't overpower the dish and will taste absolutely amazing.
You may want to check out my popular tofu recipes:
What ingredients are needed?
Tofu- I always prefer to use organic extra-firm tofu for any stir fry recipe.
Press the tofu with a tofu press or paper towel for around 30 minutes.
Cut them into your shape of choice. Also, sprinkle some corn starch.
Make sure the tofu is lightly coated. Shake off the excess corn starch.
Shallow fry, air fry, bake or deep fry them. Crispy and golden is the texture you are looking for.
Cashew Nuts- I prefer to use store-bought roasted salty whole cashews.
It saves me a lot of time however, feel free to use your own roasted cashews.
Broccoli-Fresh crunchy broccoli makes all the difference in the flavor with a sharp clean flavor.
Chili Pepper-Fresh chili pepper for that spicy kick.
Aromatics-Ginger, garlic, lots of green onion, and some red onion slices.
They create an amazing flavor profile in any Asian dish.
Sauce-A mix of dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, maple syrup, sriracha or any red chili sauce, and toasted sesame oil.
They create a super delicious sweet and spicy sticky sauce.
Salt, oil, and corn starch are some of the other ingredients.
How to cook them?
Takeout Style Cashew Tofu
- 13 Oz Extra firm Tofu
- 3 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp Oil for cooking
- Oil for frying .
- 2 Cups Broccoli florets
- ½ Cup Roasted Cashew Nuts
- ½ Medium Sliced Onion
- ¼ Cup Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- ½ Cup Chopped Scallion
- 4 Sliced or chopped fresh chilies(you can reduce if you dont like spice)
For Sauce Mix
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha or any red chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp Toasted sesame Oil
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- Press your tofu. Cut them into your desired shape and size. Lightly coat them with corn starch .Shake off the excess flour.Sprinkle some salt on them .
- Whisk your sauce mix.
- Heat the oil in a wok for deep frying . Fry tofu till they are crispy and golden. You can air fry or bake them too.
- Remove the fried tofu to a paper towel- lined plate.
- Remove all the oil and fry all the broccoli crowns in the same wok till they are cooked but yet feel crunchy.
- Remove them to a plate.
- Now add 2 tbsp oil to the wok. Heat it .
- Add sliced onion ,fry it .
- Add garlic ,ginger and chilies. Stir them.
- Add sauce mix and let it cook till it looks shiny and sticky. You can keep the thickness of sauce according to your taste.
- Add roasted cashews, broccoli, and tofu in that order.
- Taste the dish and if it needs some seasoning, do it now.
- Garnish with scallion and chilies.
- Serve over some rice or grain of your choice.