Air fryer Onion Pakoda. A healthy alternative to traditional deep-fried onion pakoda that is crispy, crunchy, with a mind-blowing taste. This dish is vegan and the perfect appetizer or snack for any get-together or party.
I love my air fryer and enjoy experimenting with the recipes. Most of the traditional recipes are fun to make in the air fryer and they come out really well. Who doesn't love to munch on guilt-free snacks/appetizers? So, for this reason, I am showing you how to make air fryer onion pakoda.
Pakoda or fritters are quite famous snacks or appetizers in the Indian subcontinent. Various vegetables and lentils are used for making pakodas. Use your favorites herbs, vegetables, chickpea flour, rice flour, or any lentil. Your air-fried onion pakoda or fritter is ready to munch.
Why Air-Fried Onion Pakoda?
People are quite conscious of their health nowadays and they want to reduce the intake of fatty food in their diet. Watching weight is so important for many of us and that makes air fried food a big blessing. Most of the food just involves the spraying of oil or a little brush. If you want to go for oil-free cooking that is also an option. If you have not tried an air fryer yet, believe me, you are missing out.
Are These Onion Fritters Gluten-Free and Vegan?
Onion fritters are made with chickpea flour/gram flour/besan and rice flour as a binding agent. They are gluten-free and vegan. All the other ingredients are also vegan and gluten-free, so feel free to have them as per your desire.
What Ingredients Are Used in Making Onion Fritters?
Onion- I love to use red onion in my recipes, however, if you do not like the sharpness of red onion feel free to use any other onion of your choice.
Cilantro Leaves- I like to use them for the wonderful flavor they bring.
Rice Flour- Sold in most of the stores, this flour gives a nice crunch or crisp texture.
Chickpea Flour/Besan-This is the primary binding agent. It binds everything together for that wonderful pakoda.
Green Chili- Any green chili you like, chop and use. If you do not like spicy things feel free to skip it as well.
Turmeric Powder, Salt
You May Also Want to Check Out These Other Air Fryer Recipes-
Air Fryer Onion Fritters/ Pakoda
- 1 Big Onion, sliced thin
- ½ Cup Chickpea Flour
- ½ Cup Rice Flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Green Chili Chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp Water
- ½ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Oil Spray
- Pre-heat air fryer at 380 F for 3 minutes.
- Finely slice onions and mix everything together.
- This onion mixture should be tight, not runny like we make the batter for deep frying.
- For air frying, it's important that we use less water and keep it tight.
- Make little cakes of this batter and place it nicely in the air fryer basket.
- Spray some oil or brush fritters with some oil.
- Air fry them at 380 F for 8-9 minutes. Turn them over once. Do not over-crowd the basket.
- You make them as crispy as you want. I made them quite crispy.
- Remove them from the air fryer and place them on a wire rack before serving.
- Enjoy with a dip or chutney.