Bharwa Bhindi /Stuffed Okra is one of the most popular vegetarian side dishes of North India. Normally, it is stuffed with a fragrant Indian spice mix and gram flour. Growing up, we loved to eat simple dal and chawal with this bharwa bhindi, a dish that was really delicious.
While experimenting with flavours in my kitchen, I changed the flavours a little and came up with two simple recipes which I can definitely call my own since I have never heard of this combination.
The first recipe I came up with was a fusion recipe of North and South flavours. Typically, sambar masala and coconut is used mainly used in southern dishes, but in this case, I have used them with my other spices. It was spicy, tangy, bold, and delicious. I regret not using this combination in bhindi before.
The second one is also a fusion recipe and we have ventured into Morocco with this spice mix. Yes, you guessed right, I have used a Harissa spice mix for highlighting the Moroccan flavours of my stuffing. It is delicious as well.
Important steps to remember while making the stuffed okra/Bhindi-
- Wash and dry the Okra /Bhindi nicely.
2. Try to use almost the same size okra for this recipe- it will look much prettier when you serve.
3. Cut both the ends of the Okra and make a slit with a sharp knife.
4. Take the help of a spoon or your finger for stuffing the spice mix into the okra. Perfection is not required, but try to stuff it nicely.
Stuffed Okra /Bharwa Bhindi
- 15-16 Medium size Okra/Bhindi
- 2 Tbsp Mustard oil/Canola oil /Oil of your choice.
- Spice mix stuffing(North meets south recipe)
- 1 Tbsp Coriander powder
- 2 Tbsp Sambar Powder(I have used MTR)
- 2 Tbsp Freshly grated coconut /Frozen coconut .If you don't have those then you can use dry coconut as well but it wont give that flavour.
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Red chili powder(optional )since sambar powder is spicy.
- ½ Tsp Salt (you can change the quantity if you want more)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Oil for mixing the spice mix. If you will your mixture looks very dry then use one tsp more.
- Wash and dry the Okra /Bhindi.
- You can wash and dry the Okra after bringing it from the store .. This will save you lot of time .
- Cut both the ends of okra,and make a slit length wise. Okra will be still joined at the end (this step is really important )
- Take a bowl and mix all the spices.
- Stove Top Method
- Take a big shallow pan . I wont recommend using a wok here .
- Add oil.Heat it.
- Place stuffed Okra /Bhindi carefully in the pan . Place it in the single layer .
- Keep the flame on low /medium.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Flip it really carefully after 3-4 minutes .
- Cover it again for 3-4 minute.
- Remove the lid and cook it for 2 minute .
- Carefully transfer your okra in a serving platter .Don't break it while transfering.
- You can serve it with Roti,Rice,or Just as an appetizer.
- Air Fryer Method
- Air fry the stuffed Okra /Bhindi on 370f for 10-12 minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes flip the okra .Squeeze half of a lemon juice on the okra.
- Your stuffed okra is ready to serve.
Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi with Moroccan fusion.
- 15-16 Medium size Bhindi/Okra
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- Fusion of moroccan and Indian spice blend
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Tbsp Harissa spice mix
- 2 Tbsp Freshly grated coconut/Frozen Coconut .
- 1 Tsp Anardana powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ Tsp Salt(You can increase the quantity ,according to your taste.
- Wash and dry the Okra /Bhindi.
- Cut both the ends.
- Make a slit lengthwise.It will still be attached (this is really important)
- Mix all the stuffing masala together.
- With the help of a spoon or your finger stuff the spice mix into the okra.
- Take a wide shallow pan.
- Add oil to it.
- Place stuffed Okra in the pan ,do itin a single layer.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 3-4 minute. Keep the flame of the gas on low/medium.
- Remove the lid and flip it .Cook it covered for another 3-4 minutes.
- Your Stuffed okra is ready to serve.
Leave a Reply