Fusion cooking is not only about combining a few ingredients and flavours, but it also combines two cultures together. These days, I am big on cooking fusion food and most of the time, the outcome blows away my mind.
At home, my kids love everything Italian and for them, any type of cheese-laden pasta is comfort food. This weekend, they told me to make something Italian and when I casually promised them Lasagna Roll-Ups, they did not expect this dish.
What is a Lasagna Roll-Up?
These are single-servings of lasagna and are very easy to handle. They look very pretty on a plate and can make cooking and serving easy without a mess. Usually, these Lasagna Roll-Ups are meat and cheese-filled, but you can have some vegetarian variations as well.
Indian Fusion Lasagna Roll-Ups-
While planning for the Lasagna Roll-Ups, I thought I would give it a twist with some Indian fusion. So here, I am presenting to you my Lasagna Roll-Ups with an Indian Twist or Palak Paneer Lasagna Roll-Ups with a Makhani Sauce.
Lasagna Roll Up with Palak Paneer and Makhani Sauce.
- 8 Sheets Lasagna(70 ./. boiled)
- 2 Cups Paneer(crumble or grated paneer if you are using store bought)
- 1 Cup Spinach Puree (thick)
- ½ Cup Tomato Puree
- ½ Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt according to taste.(please use salt less then required otherwise after you put cheese it will be salty.)
- ½ Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- For making Makhani Sauce
- 16 oz or 2 small Cans Tomato Puree
- 1 Tsp Butter/Canola oil/Olive Oil.
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Kasoori Methi
- ⅓ Cups Heavy Cream(Optional)
- Salt (use less then your taste ,because we are using Cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- For Cheese Sprinkle
- ½ Cup Fresh Mozzarella
- ¼ Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan .
- 1 Tbsp Butter/Olive oil
- Preparation of Lasagna Sheets
- Boil Lasagna Sheets in sufficient water till they are soft but not overly soft .If they are not soft you will not be able to roll them .
- Making of Palak Paneer
- In a pan add oil .Heat it .
- Add onion and fry it till they are translucent.
- Add ginger garlic Paste to it .Fry till all the raw smell is gone.
- Add coriander powder,red chilli powder,,turmeric powder to it .
- Fry it for one minute.
- Add Tomato Puree to it .Fry it for 2 minutes.Add spinach Puree to it .Fry it for 3-4 minute.
- Add paneer crumble /grated paneer.Mix it nicely .Add Garam Masala to it .Your palak Paneer is ready .
- Take a pan /vessel.Add butter/canola oil to it .
- Add Ginger -Garlic Paste to it .Fry till the raw smell is gone .Add tomato puree to it . Add chilli powder,kasoori methi ,brown sugar to it .Let it cook for 7-8 minutes on low/medium flame .Add heavy cream to it .Mix it nicely .Add little bit of salt ,it should not be salty . Taste it and if you need something to enhance the taste add to it .
- Place all the boiled sheets on a tray or wooden board.
- Spread palak paneer on each sheet as shown in the pic.
- Roll each lasagna sheet as shown in the pic.
- Take a baking pan and spread 80 percent of your makhani gravy inside.
- PLace rolled lasagna sheets on top of it .(as shown in the pic)
- Top it of with fresh grated Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.Sprinkle some butter and olive oil on top of it .(optional but this gives a nice finishing touch to the dish.)
- Bake it on 375 f for 25-30 minutes after covering it with a tin foil.
- Remove the foil afyer 25-30 minutes and broil it for 1-2 minutes in the broiler till the cheese looks melted and little charred(not much).Its really important to keep your eye on it .Otherwise it will burnm.
- Your Lasagna Roll Ups with Palak Paneer and Makhani Sauce is ready to serve .