Fusion cooking is not only about combining a few ingredients and flavours, but it also combines two cultures together. These days, I am big on cooking fusion food and most of the time, the outcome blows away my mind.
At home, my kids love everything Italian and for them, any type of cheese laden pasta is comfort food. This weekend, they told me to make something Italian and when I casually promised them Lasagna Roll Ups, they did not expect this dish.
What is a Lasagna Roll Up?
These are single-servings of lasagna and are very easy to handle. They look very pretty on a plate and can make cooking and serving easy without a mess. Usually, these Lasagna Roll Ups are meat and cheese filled, but you can have some vegetarian variations as well.
Indian Fusion Lasgna Roll Ups-
While planning for the Lasagna Roll Ups, I thought I would give it a twist with some Indian fusion. So here, I am presenting to you my Lasagna Roll Ups with an Indian Twist, or Palak Paneer Lasagna Roll Ups with a Makhani Sauce.
Lasagna Roll Up with Palak Paneer and Makhani Sauce.
- 8 Sheets Lasagna(70 ./. boiled)
- 2 Cups Paneer(crumble or grated paneer if you are using store bought)
- 1 Cup Spinach Puree (thick)
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Puree
- 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt according to taste.(please use salt less then required otherwise after you put cheese it will be salty.)
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- For making Makhani Sauce
- 16 oz or 2 small Cans Tomato Puree
- 1 Tsp Butter/Canola oil/Olive Oil.
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1/3 Cups Heavy Cream(Optional)
- Salt (use less then your taste ,because we are using Cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- For Cheese Sprinkle
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan .
- 1 Tbsp Butter/Olive oil
- Preparation of Lasagna Sheets
- Boil Lasagna Sheets in sufficient water till they are soft but not overly soft .If they are not soft you will not be able to roll them .
- Making of Palak Paneer
- In a pan add oil .Heat it .
- Add onion and fry it till they are translucent.
- Add ginger garlic Paste to it .Fry till all the raw smell is gone.
- Add coriander powder,red chilli powder,,turmeric powder to it .
- Fry it for one minute.
- Add Tomato Puree to it .Fry it for 2 minutes.Add spinach Puree to it .Fry it for 3-4 minute.
- Add paneer crumble /grated paneer.Mix it nicely .Add Garam Masala to it .Your palak Paneer is ready .
- Take a pan /vessel.Add butter/canola oil to it .
- Add Ginger -Garlic Paste to it .Fry till the raw smell is gone .Add tomato puree to it . Add chilli powder,kasoori methi ,brown sugar to it .Let it cook for 7-8 minutes on low/medium flame .Add heavy cream to it .Mix it nicely .Add little bit of salt ,it should not be salty . Taste it and if you need something to enhance the taste add to it .
- Place all the boiled sheets on a tray or wooden board.
- Spread palak paneer on each sheet as shown in the pic.
- Roll each lasagna sheet as shown in the pic.
- Take a baking pan and spread 80 percent of your makhani gravy inside.
- PLace rolled lasagna sheets on top of it .(as shown in the pic)
- Top it of with fresh grated Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.Sprinkle some butter and olive oil on top of it .(optional but this gives a nice finishing touch to the dish.)
- Bake it on 375 f for 25-30 minutes after covering it with a tin foil.
- Remove the foil afyer 25-30 minutes and broil it for 1-2 minutes in the broiler till the cheese looks melted and little charred(not much).Its really important to keep your eye on it .Otherwise it will burnm.
- Your Lasagna Roll Ups with Palak Paneer and Makhani Sauce is ready to serve .